Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Rifle Ammo

The pin is adjustable and I did not try pulling it out, I thought maybe it had to bottom in its seat. I bought the set second hand and it came with no instructions but I will check their website for a downloadable copy. Thanks for the help.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I've tried something similar with multiple
    aim points but the reticle superimposed on the target centers works best for me.
    I have somewhat diminished eyesight in my dominant eye.
    Yeah, me too! That was why I started using a red dot sight in Bullseye competition almost 40 years ago. I couldn't focus on the front sight. If the problem is you have trouble seeing the crosshairs through your optics or even a red dot, try your prescription reading glasses esp. if you have a pair that's a few years old.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    The pin is adjustable and I did not try pulling it out, I thought maybe it had to bottom in its seat. I bought the set second hand and it came with no instructions but I will check their website for a downloadable copy. Thanks for the help.
    If you can't find any let me know and I'll copy my set and post them or send them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    If you can't find any let me know and I'll copy my set and post them or send them.
    OK, thanks. It looks like Imma have to find something to make a pin out of because it just pushes back into the collet if I try pulling it out. I suspect ACE should have something that will work.

(Susquehanna County)

HUH? The rod for the decapping should just screw into the top of the sizing die and have a lock ring to set once adjusted. You should be able to unscrew the decapping rod completely to replace broken/bent pins which does happen occasionally.

I scanned the instructions but for some reason I can't explain I'm not able to upload it as an attachment here. I think it is because this stupid GD Firefox web browser handles PDFs as an HTML Pretty sure it won't work as a PM either. Care to send me your email address maybe I'll have better luck there. I'm really PO'd this isn't working.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    HUH? The rod for the decapping should just screw into the top of the sizing die and have a lock ring to set once adjusted. You should be able to unscrew the decapping rod completely to replace broken/bent pins which does happen occasionally.

I scanned the instructions but for some reason I can't explain I'm not able to upload it as an attachment here. I think it is because this stupid GD Firefox web browser handles PDFs as an HTML Pretty sure it won't work as a PM either. Care to send me your email address maybe I'll have better luck there. I'm really PO'd this isn't working.
    No threads in this one, it has a collet and a straight pin about 5/8"-3/4" long

(Lehigh County)

I found this: https://www.redding-reloading.com/te...ickstarttype-s
    Decap Rod Adjustment
    Unlike most sizing dies available today the Reading Type S bushing die uses a length adjustable decap rod.
    On standard dies the depth of the decap pin penetration is set by adjusting the entire decap rod assembly up
    or down within the body of the die.
    Because the Type-S die must locate and retain the neck sizing bushing in its proper position, an additional
    adjustment point is necessary to allow the decap pin to attain the proper depth of penetration to remove the
    primer but also allow the decap rod holder and lock nut to maintain the proper location of the bushing itself
    within the die body to fully size the neck.
    Step #1:
    Remove the decap rod assembly and install the bushing from the top of the die. Insert the decap rod assembly
    and tighten until contact with the bushing is made. Back the entire assembly approximately 1/4 of a turn
    away from the bushing to allow it to free float and self center on your case neck. Set the lock ring to secure
    this position.
    Step #2:
    Check for decap pin protrusion. The decap pin should protrude no more than 3/16th of an inch below the
    bottom of the die. This is enough to remove the primer cleanly and will not allow the size button to bottom in
    the case. If the decap pin protrudes more than 3/16th of an inch go to Step #4.
    Step #3:
    Test size a case slowly to be sure the primer is extracted and the size button does not bottom in the case. If
    all is well the set up is complete and you may begin using the die.
    If Not..........
    Step #4:
    Remove the decap rod assembly from the die. Loosen the lock nut on the decap rod and either lengthen or
    shorten the rod as needed. Tighten the lock nut and reseat the decap rod assembly in the die as indicated
    then return to the set up instructions in Step#1 repeat the process through Step #3.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    No threads in this one, it has a collet and a straight pin about 5/8"-3/4" long
    I think pics would be appropriate!

Go here do your dies look like these? Use the magnifying feature to see the internal layout. https://outdoors.natchezss.com/bests...8-Win-Mag-Dies

If all else fails call Redding directly they're located in NY. Here's the Redding website: https://www.redding-reloading.com/

(Berks County)

Here's a picture of the tip and components. You can see the split in the tip that lets the pin slide in and out and when the tip is screwed down tight, it grips it. How far into the die should the shell go? With the pin sticking out of the die all the way, it still doesn't hit the primer. It's as if the shell isn't going in far enough but it's bottoming out in there. I'm wondering if the die is stamped for the wrong caliber.

Attachment 143549

(Berks County)

And here's two more. One with the shell in as far as it goes and the other shows how far out the pin is sticking right now.

Attachment 143550

Attachment 143551

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast