Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Rifle Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    I'm sorry but I really don't understand. Why is there a hammer involved?

In 40 years of reloading I've never had a need or desire to use a hammer to drive a case into a sizing die and can't imagine a circumstance where that would be appropriate.

What type of die are you using. I understand it is a Redding die but which one? They sell several styles. The decapping rod should only need to protrude about 3/16" from the bottom of the die.
    Pictures and full description of the die and all components are shown above. I could not get the shell to go all the way into the die in the press and I didn't want to get it stuck in there so I held the die in my hand and drove the shell all the way in with a hammer. I am new to this so I know less about it than Biden knows about running our country and IMO it took more force to get that shell all the way in than it should. I will thoroughly clean and lubricate things and try again.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Pictures and full description of the die and all components are shown above. I could not get the shell to go all the way into the die in the press and I didn't want to get it stuck in there so I held the die in my hand and drove the shell all the way in with a hammer. I am new to this so I know less about it than Biden knows about running our country and IMO it took more force to get that shell all the way in than it should. I will thoroughly clean and lubricate things and try again.
    I looked through the entire thread and I can't tell if you set up the die correctly. Also, it would be helpful to see the entire die, fully assembled in order to identify what type of die you have.

In general, when setting up a sizing die you run the press ram all the way to the top and then screw the sizer die in until it touches the shell holder. When I read your description it sounds like you did this with a shell in the shell holder. Is that correct or am I reading it wrong?

(Berks County)

I looked through the entire thread and I can't tell if you set up the die correctly. Also, it would be helpful to see the entire die, fully assembled in order to identify what type of die you have.

In general, when setting up a sizing die you run the press ram all the way to the top and then screw the sizer die in until it touches the shell holder. When I read your description it sounds like you did this with a shell in the shell holder. Is that correct or am I reading it wrong?
    You are correct, sometimes I'm a little slow and didn't realize that the die would stop at the top of the shell. I didn't have any instructions and was trying to wing it.

(Northampton County)

You are correct, sometimes I'm a little slow and didn't realize that the die would stop at the top of the shell. I didn't have any instructions and was trying to wing it.
    So, have you set the sizing die to touch the shellholder yet? A call to Redding should get you all the information you need to get it set up correctly. Some dies need to just touch while others need another 1/4 turn. Best to find out so you don't run into headspace issues. Case lube will be the next issue. I am still doing it the old fashioned way using an RCBS lube pad. Haven't tried the newfangled spray lubes so I can't comment on them but have heard positive feedback from others.

So, have you set the sizing die to touch the shellholder yet? A call to Redding should get you all the information you need to get it set up correctly. Some dies need to just touch while others need another 1/4 turn. Best to find out so you don't run into headspace issues. Case lube will be the next issue. I am still doing it the old fashioned way using an RCBS lube pad. Haven't tried the newfangled spray lubes so I can't comment on them but have heard positive feedback from others.
    Imperial sizing wax is my goto lube. Never have to wait for spray to evaporate and can easily get 10K cases out of a small 2oz tin.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012768051?pid=519525

Never had a stuck case with it. As was mentioned earlier, you really only need lube on the bottom half of the case (rim half) and
    a very little on the inside of the neck. Too much will dent the shoulder. (BTW, good time to check the vent hole near the top of
    the die threads to make sure it's not clogged)

(Berks County)

Current status is that I screwed the die down until it hit the shell holder then backed it up a 1/2 turn and ran a shell in. These shells have a collar on them above the base that looks a little more than 1/16" tall and the die has a recess that looks like it's made for that collar to fit into to. At that setting, the collar was not inside the die so I adjusted the die down until the collar was fully seated in the recess. This leaves the bottom of the shell sticking out about 1/16" and results in the decap pin needing to stick out a little more. I ran a shell in with the decap pin in place and screwed it down until the primer came out. It might not be the prescribed method(s) but does it sound sufficient?

(Northampton County)

The "collar" is referred to as a "belt". The proper setup of the die is usually very specific and indexes off of the shellholder. It's really the only constant that a manufacturer can depend on. My guess is that you are not fully resizing the case so no, I wouldn't call it "sufficient".

I have never loaded a belted magnum so maybe someone else will chime in but contacting the manufacturer for die setup instructions is your best bet.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/im...ding_guide.pdf

Current status is that I screwed the die down until it hit the shell holder then backed it up a 1/2 turn and ran a shell in. These shells have a collar on them above the base that looks a little more than 1/16" tall and the die has a recess that looks like it's made for that collar to fit into to. At that setting, the collar was not inside the die so I adjusted the die down until the collar was fully seated in the recess. This leaves the bottom of the shell sticking out about 1/16" and results in the decap pin needing to stick out a little more. I ran a shell in with the decap pin in place and screwed it down until the primer came out. It might not be the prescribed method(s) but does it sound sufficient?
    I don't think you want to back the die up/out after it hits the shell holder, you want to screw it down further 1/2-turn to make sure the die
    always bottoms out on the shellholder. Belted mags are no different than other rounds, the die should have a recess for the belt and the
    case is fully sized when the shellholder with the case bottoms out on the die.

(Bucks County)

Current status is that I screwed the die down until it hit the shell holder then backed it up a 1/2 turn and ran a shell in.
    Reread my earlier posts. You are supposed to screw the die till it touches then 1/8 to 1/4 turn DOWN. I don't think you are even close to fully sizing your case. I guess you didn't try my dry erase trick either.

I would do a hard stop and don't reload anything until you do some reading and understand what you are doing. Then get out your single stage press and start reloading rifle cases there. I always full length size rifle cases in a single stage anyway. Then you trim and prep the cases.

I have limited experience loading for 300 win mag. It's also a belted magnum case. From what I've read you should set up the die so it just barely bumps the shoulder back when you resize. This video gives you a good idea. I used a sharpie to mark the brass instead of messing with a lighter to see when the die hits the shoulder of the case. It's supposed to help reduce over working the brass.

Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast