Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Reloading Rifle Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Here's a picture of the tip and components. You can see the split in the tip that lets the pin slide in and out and when the tip is screwed down tight, it grips it. How far into the die should the shell go? With the pin sticking out of the die all the way, it still doesn't hit the primer. It's as if the shell isn't going in far enough but it's bottoming out in there. I'm wondering if the die is stamped for the wrong caliber.

Attachment 143549

OK this looks like it makes sense. But there should more length to the split rod that holds the pin. The collet performs two functions. It holds the decapping pin in place and it is the expanding plug that spreads the case neck enough to accept a new bullet. When properly installed it should not bottom out in the case. The pin only needs to extend past the bottom of the die body just enough to push the primer all the way out. maybe 3/16".

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

And here's two more. One with the shell in as far as it goes and the other shows how far out the pin is sticking right now.

Attachment 143550

Attachment 143551

Either the wrong die or you're not lubing the case enough and pressing the case in. The body of the die should touch the case holder and
    that's not gonna happen with the distance shown in the pic..

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    OK this looks like it makes sense. But there should more length to the split rod that holds the pin. The collet performs two functions. It holds the decapping pin in place and it is the expanding plug that spreads the case neck enough to accept a new bullet. When properly installed it should not bottom out in the case. The pin only needs to extend past the bottom of the die body just enough to push the primer all the way out. maybe 3/16".
    Correct, the expanding plug is not seen in the picture and the throat of the shell is getting squeezed down. So...why is that butt of that shell sticking out so far out of reach of the pin? The only explanation I can come up with is that the die is the wrong size and is marked wrong. It definitely has .338 WINMAG stamped into it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

And here's two more. One with the shell in as far as it goes and the other shows how far out the pin is sticking right now.

Attachment 143550

Attachment 143551
    The one with the bullet inserted confuses me! It looks like something is missing! Specifically the top of the decapping rod and the lock ring that secures it. Take a look at the Natchez cite I show above. If your assembled Die does NOT look like that you're missing pieces.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can possibly tell you!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The one with the bullet inserted confuses me! It looks like something is missing! Specifically the top of the decapping rod and the lock ring that secures it. Take a look at the Natchez cite I show above. If your assembled Die does NOT look like that you're missing pieces.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can possibly tell you!
    Yeah, that's with the decapping rod out of it, I can't push the shell in there with it in place. Then I can tap the shell out with a rod through the top of it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Either the wrong die or you're not lubing the case enough and pressing the case in. The body of the die should touch the case holder and
    that's not gonna happen with the distance shown in the pic..
    The bottom of the shell does fit into the bottom of the die if I flip it upside down but these shells have a collar on them, I forget what they call it. I have lubed them up with Dillon spray lube and had them pretty slippery. They are bottoming out inside the die. I'll call Redding tomorrow and see what they tell me. I think the die is miss-stamped.

The bottom of the shell does fit into the bottom of the die if I flip it upside down but these shells have a collar on them, I forget what they call it. I have lubed them up with Dillon spray lube and had them pretty slippery. They are bottoming out inside the die. I'll call Redding tomorrow and see what they tell me. I think the die is miss-stamped.
    Yeah.. Can you post a pic of the Die markings showing the caliber? It's not a 338 Ruger Compact Mag (RCM) die is it?

(Allegheny County)

Here is my dillon 308 carbide die. doesn't look anything like your die. mine is about 5 years old so maybe you have an older version.

(Allegheny County)

Here it is broken down

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Here is my dillon 308 carbide die. doesn't look anything like your die. mine is about 5 years old so maybe you have an older version.

I think he said it's a Reading Die, not a Dillon

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast