Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .16gauge

(Berks County)

Default .16gauge

Anyone else have one and hunt with one ? I*ve got a 870 express from 1967 ...sat in my FIL*s closet for 30yrs ....re-blued and cleaned up it*s a nice shooter ..fixed modified choke . Killed my last bird with my Boykin before he passed with this shotgun.
    I*ve got one box of Fiocchi golden pheasant #5*s left and I am leaning on using this over my Benelli M2 field ...thoughts ???
    Last edited by Zeke2A; November 12th, 2020 at 09:18 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: .16gauge

My favorite gauge. I have several of them, a few side by side double barrels, an over under, a Remington 1100 and a few pumps. The older pumps built on a frame made for 16 gauge or even a 20 gauge frame are a joy to carry. Much less weight than a 12 gauge to lug around. For small game to me it is ideal when a lot of walking is involved. The only time they're set aside is for waterfowl where the 12 or 10 gauge gets the nod. Before the ammo crunch there was plenty of 16 gauge out there and I didn't find it to be anymore expensive than the other gauges. I'm glad there are still enough people using it to keep it alive.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Berks County)

The only downside I have with this shotgun is that the length of pull for me is a little short. I’m 6’4 270 ....
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Allegheny County)

Real easy to add a extended but pad

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Real easy to add a extended but pad
    Just ordered one ....
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Chester County)

I had a Browning A5 16 gauge (not a sweet 16) back in the 80's. It functioned well and was a nice gun but 16 gauge is an oddball as my old friend Dan Titus used say. I traded it in on a 20 gauge Remington 1100. I now have 20 and 12 gauge shotguns just to simplify keeping ammo and that was my thoughts since back in the early 90's. 16 gauge is fine for upland game hunting I shot my share of dove with that A5 it's just keeping all those different shells got to be a problem for me at that time so I narrowed it down to just two different gauges.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    Anyone else have one and hunt with one ? I*ve got a 870 express from 1967 ...sat in my FIL*s closet for 30yrs ....re-blued and cleaned up it*s a nice shooter ..fixed modified choke . Killed my last bird with my Boykin before he passed with this shotgun.
    I*ve got one box of Fiocchi golden pheasant #5*s left and I am leaning on using this over my Benelli M2 field ...thoughts ???
    I'm guessing you have an 870 Wingmaster, not an Express. Big difference. The Express came about for WalMart sales and was the beginning of the end for Big Green as far as I am concerned. I almost went on a rant...LOL.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I'm guessing you have an 870 Wingmaster, not an Express. Big difference. The Express came about for WalMart sales and was the beginning of the end for Big Green as far as I am concerned. I almost went on a rant...LOL.
    They made an express version of the 16 gauge starting around 2002. Not sure how long it stayed in production.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Sorry my bad ...had a few beverages while posting that ...yes Wingmaster . The only time it*s been shot are the few times I shot it . Just needed a lot of TLC after sitting in a closet for that long

I do have an Express that was my *first* gun purchase got it in the late 80*s NIB from my LGS. It*s now been converted to my HD shotgun .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

I have a 16ga Wingmaster Dad bought me when I was , , , 16!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast