Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default AR Pmag vs Surefeed vs USGI D&H vs ACS - etc - anything specifically to consider?

So I'm trying to figure out if I should buy 1-2 of each, buy 1 of each and 5 of a specific model, or just pick 1 or 2 and stick with them. I've never used any of these so I'm not sure which will be better.

I'm wondering if there is anything specific to look out for, if there's any issues with one brand or model. I've read that some people say that some guns are picky as to the mags they use, so that's one reason I was thinking of getting a variety, but this is kind of a bad time to buy mags that I'm not going to like, but having 6 diff types, I could load each one with a different round and it'd be easy to know which is which.

I guess these are the brands I was looking at. I always thought the magazine brand was SureFire not SureFeed, but I probably just read that wrong. Are there any others that I should consider or are there any below I should avoid? I didn't put models b/c it seems there are usually 1-2 popular models and then sub models/colors/features within those, so I figure I should be alright though I did find out that PMag's have some issue with bad, tilting followers with some of their earlier mags? I guess that is what I'm looking for insight into so I can try and avoid those types of issues.

So if anyone has anything they can add or say to this, I'd really appreciate it!

PMag
    HexMag
    Lancer
    Surefeed - Okay Industries
    ACS - Aluminum w/ non-tilt PMag follower
    USGI D&H - w/ PMag follower or USGI follower

Default Re: AR Pmag vs Surefeed vs USGI D&H vs ACS - etc - anything specifically to consider?

I have all of the above. Never had any issues with any of them. I prefer the 3rd Gen PMags for polymer and Surefeed for metal mags. Can't go wrong with any of the latest edition of any of them, however.

Default Re: AR Pmag vs Surefeed vs USGI D&H vs ACS - etc - anything specifically to consider?

I love Pmags. Super reliable, cheap and always drop free.

(Allegheny County)

Have used PMags gen 2 and Lancers, have enjoyed both. I like how plain black non-window Pmags are in the $10-12 range.

If you've got the extra cash, check out Daniel Defense's 32 rounders as well.

(Westmoreland County)

Having tried and tested types of magazines to numerous to mention; I've mostly settled on Colt/Okay aluminum GI mags with uprated Magpul followers. I do have a few non-window Gen2 Magpuls that get used on occasion as well. I've never had an issue with either of the ones I mentioned. I have a friend who swears by the GI Okay mags. He buys as many as he can get his hands on.

(Beaver County)

All my mags are 'Nam era 20 rounders. Never an issue even with the original follower. Most are Okay and few are Colt.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post
    So I'm trying to figure out if I should buy 1-2 of each, buy 1 of each and 5 of a specific model, or just pick 1 or 2 and stick with them. I've never used any of these so I'm not sure which will be better.

I'm wondering if there is anything specific to look out for, if there's any issues with one brand or model. I've read that some people say that some guns are picky as to the mags they use, so that's one reason I was thinking of getting a variety, but this is kind of a bad time to buy mags that I'm not going to like, but having 6 diff types, I could load each one with a different round and it'd be easy to know which is which.

I guess these are the brands I was looking at. I always thought the magazine brand was SureFire not SureFeed, but I probably just read that wrong. Are there any others that I should consider or are there any below I should avoid? I didn't put models b/c it seems there are usually 1-2 popular models and then sub models/colors/features within those, so I figure I should be alright though I did find out that PMag's have some issue with bad, tilting followers with some of their earlier mags? I guess that is what I'm looking for insight into so I can try and avoid those types of issues.

So if anyone has anything they can add or say to this, I'd really appreciate it!

PMag
    HexMag
    Lancer
    Surefeed - Okay Industries
    ACS - Aluminum w/ non-tilt PMag follower
    USGI D&H - w/ PMag follower or USGI follower
    All decent choices.
    The only one on your list that I would move to the bottom is the Hexmag.
    Nothing specifically "wrong" with them, but I don't think they would hold up to extreme use the way the others on the list would.

Did you mean ASC when you said "ACS"?
    I'd rank ASC a step above Hexmag - under all others mentioned.

There's also C-Products Defense/Duramag to consider.

Lots of it comes down to "reputation" and "word on the internet".
    There are comparison/torture tests that you can look for, but I think most people buy based on what other people buy.
    For the average user, almost any brand will be fine. Well, I'm not going to be buying any Promag magazines any time in my lifetime, but...

PMAGs are always a solid choice. They're known to be reliable and they can be had relatively inexpensively.
    I personally prefer aluminum USGI mags, simply for their slimmer/smooth exterior.
    I keep a handful of PMAGs on hand, but over time, I have sold/traded most of them in favor of USGI mags, or Lancers.
    I like Lancers a lot - light and durable, and slimmer than a PMAG, but they are more expensive - if not for cost, I would probably only have Lancers.

For USGI mags, I always look for ones with Magpul followers.

For "identifying rounds" in "home defense" magazines, I put a green rubber band on my mags with 62 gr "green tip" ammo.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

The D&H with Magpul follower work very well. Palmetto has them right now for $11+. I have a couple of Magpul mags that came with my Colt, they work.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/acce...nes/ar-15.html
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Lanbosarmory.com
    Lancer 30rd black mags, $13.13.
    Stupid good price for lancer mags.

Hell, I'll sell 10 brand new in the package pmag M2 for 10 or 11 each and upgrade to the Lancers if you want them?