Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Newbie question on xd(m)

First of all I want to say hello to all. I have been reading on here, I really like
    this forum, good knowledge. Anyway I am a newbie to guns. I purchased my first pistol yeasterday, a Springfield Armory xd(m)
    I have been messing around with it today not loaded of course. I have noticed
    that one you cock the gun it seems like thats it. I dont know if I am missing something but on some guns there is a safety swith where you can uncock the gun without having to pull the trigger. I was wondering if somebody can give me some insight on this. I would like to be able to uncock it if i wanted to.
    thanks guys
    John

(Chester County)

Default Re: Newbie question on xd(m)

Quote Originally Posted by rottie98 View Post
    First of all I want to say hello to all. I have been reading on here, I really like
    this forum, good knowledge. Anyway I am a newbie to guns. I purchased my first pistol yeasterday, a Springfield Armory xd(m)
    I have been messing around with it today not loaded of course. I have noticed
    that one you cock the gun it seems like thats it. I dont know if I am missing something but on some guns there is a safety swith where you can uncock the gun without having to pull the trigger. I was wondering if somebody can give me some insight on this. I would like to be able to uncock it if i wanted to.
    thanks guys
    John
    That is not how the gun works. There is no way to de-cock the gun. It is a single action, with no exposed hammer.

It is perfectly safe, as is.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    That is not how the gun works. There is no way to de-cock the gun. It is a single action, with no exposed hammer.

It is perfectly safe, as is.
    what he said...isn't it a striker fired pistol?

I know my xd, which is the model before the M, has a trigger and grip safety.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    what he said...isn't it a striker fired pistol?

I know my xd, which is the model before the M, has a trigger and grip safety.
    yep, striker-fired single action.

(Lycoming County)

Sounds like you should read the manual. I have 2 XDs and they rock. I haven't taken a look at the XDm though. Anything from Springfield Armory is a great first pistol. If you want something with a decocker, I'd look at a Beretta. Just my thoughts.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Cambria County)

Scary as hell isn't it. Now to explain in Newbinese.

I felt the same way when I got my XD. I was looking for some switch to flip, or a safety to push. But alas. None exist....... per se

The safeties are all built into the gun. Designed so that when your grabbing the gun, you are starting to disengage one safety, when the web of your hand depresses that bar sticking out of the back of the grip. You will find that you can't work the slide if that bar isn't depressed.

Next is the trigger. Notice the twin triggers. One is another safety feature. The trigger won't go back till you depress the lever on the trigger.

I have tried to dry fire my pistol without engaging these two little bars. And it just won't happen.

So you have two safeties that have to be activated before the pistol will shoot.

So... Welcome to the world of the XD. I love mine. And it is super safe as is. If you do your part. You should never have any problems with it going off without you knowing it. But doing your part is a BIG PART.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Scary as hell isn't it. Now to explain in Newbinese.

I felt the same way when I got my XD. I was looking for some switch to flip, or a safety to push. But alas. None exist....... per se

The safeties are all built into the gun. Designed so that when your grabbing the gun, you are starting to disengage one safety, when the web of your hand depresses that bar sticking out of the back of the grip. You will find that you can't work the slide if that bar isn't depressed.

Next is the trigger. Notice the twin triggers. One is another safety feature. The trigger won't go back till you depress the lever on the trigger.

I have tried to dry fire my pistol without engaging these two little bars. And it just won't happen.

So you have two safeties that have to be activated before the pistol will shoot.

So... Welcome to the world of the XD. I love mine. And it is super safe as is. If you do your part. You should never have any problems with it going off without you knowing it. But doing your part is a BIG PART.
    Well said.

I'll repeat what he said about doing your part is a big part.

Its a BIG PART. Always, always, always make sure you drop the magazine and empty the chamber, then check 3 times (at least) to make sure its unloaded. I have heard a case or two where people just didnt pay attention and shot their hand trying to disassemble an XD. Just trying to pass on helpful info.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Allegheny County)

One nice thing about the M model is that you don't have to pull the trigger to release the slide when you field strip it - that makes cleaning much safer!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by cybrus View Post
    One nice thing about the M model is that you don't have to pull the trigger to release the slide when you field strip it - that makes cleaning much safer!
    Guess I didn't see/hear that. Thanks.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Bucks County)

pretty good info.I did understand about all the safetys on the gun as far as the trigger and the hand button before the gun would go off. what I was concerned about was if the chamber still had around in it and somebody pulled the trigger.
    But it seems that if i do cock the gun and I want to make sure that it doesnt go off with a bullet in it, I have to take the mag out and then slide the chamber so the last bullet comes out. then if somebody pulled the trigger it wouldnt go off. sorry to be such a pain in the ass and I know this is probably a stupid question but I just want to know all I can about the gun and how it works, safety is one of my concerns. I appreciate all your help. I think I understand what I have to do. Thanks again
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast