Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Handgun while camping (no LTCF)?

Hello all, new to the forum here and I've learned so much reading the threads on this wonderful resource.

I know this has been previously discussed but I still don't understand if I can have a firearm with me while camping in a state forest without a LTCF, I applied earlier this year but was denied due to a misdemeanor simple possession over 10 years ago (I assume).

I know I can open carry in a state forest sans LTCF, but my question concerns the legality of transportation. If I walked from my house to the campsite while open carrying all 30 miles along the way it is perfectly legal, but can I legally transport the firearm (unloaded and in a "wrapper") to my campsite via vehicle? From what I can gather, this hinges on whether a wilderness campsite tent is considered a "vacation home", an exception enabling us non-LTCF to transport firearms.

And, assuming transport is legal, can I then load my firearm upon arrival and store it bedside in my tent while I'm there?

Seems like a good idea to have a firearm with me because I generally camp alone and without cellular reception.

Can anyone shed some light on these vague laws subject to interpretation?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lanium; November 9th, 2020 at 10:48 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Handgun while camping?

You are right in most of your assertions on open carry / vehicle transport, but there's a large grey area about the tent, whether it's a 'dwelling', and then again, whether it would allow unloaded transport. Washington state has said the tent of a homeless man is protected from warrantless searches, but are you homeless? The definition of 'dwelling' as used by PA infers a bit of permanence, of real property that can be sold, which a tent does not have. Will those that may come in contact with you even know the various laws and terms surrounding your situation? You may be right, but still wind up in a protracted legal battle.

As an aside, remember during this state of emergency as declared by Dick Tater Wolf, you are not allowed to open carry without an LTCF.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Handgun while camping?

this^^^^ State of Emergency BS

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Handgun while camping (no LTCF)?

Yep. The State of Emergencies (yes, multiple!) will prevent open carry without a license to carry, unless you are actively defending yourself. The opioid state of emergency will be having its 3rd birthday in January 2021.

States have different laws regarding the definition of a residence.

Your "wrapper" statement has a bit of a New Jersey feel to it.

(Montgomery County)

You'll technically be on the wrong side of the law for a few reasons mentioned.

My suggestion would be to get something like a Ruger PC Carbine, Keltec Sub2000 or 16" AR with Law Tactical folding stock adapter. That way it's not a Pennsylvania defined 'firearm' and not subject to license requirements for carry and transport. You'll still have to transport unloaded in a vehicle. These can be kept in a backpack etc. for certainly not instant deployment, but better than nothing. That combined with a good pepper spray and knife makes you pretty well armed.

EDIT: read subsequent posts as this isn't true during a State of Emergency
    Last edited by jthrelf; November 10th, 2020 at 02:16 PM.

(Berks County)

If one is prohibited from carrying, are they also prohibited from owning?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Yes, and no. IANAL, but IIRC, one can possess a firearm, but not obtain an LTCF, and this relates to a conviction under the 1972 Drug Act, which is on the LTCF form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Yes, and no. IANAL, but IIRC, one can possess a firearm, but not obtain an LTCF, and this relates to a conviction under the 1972 Drug Act, which is on the LTCF form.
    ^^^ and the character clause of the LTCF could prevent someone who's legally allowed to possess from carrying if the sheriff wants to be a PITA. Think of how many people from Philthy were prevented from an LTCF over the years by an outstanding tickets, lack of a bill with the exact spelling of their name, etc.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

gonna be fishing while you camp? You need to show hunting or fishing license and fill out the form.

Pennsylvania Sportsman's Firearm Permit
    The Sportsman's Firearm Permit is issued by the county treasurers in Pennsylvania to individuals that
    have a license to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs. This is a
    shall issue permit and does not require any type of background check to be completed. An individual
    that has a License to Carry does not need a Sportsman's Firearm Permit to hunt with a lawful handgun
    as defined by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
    Below you will find some helpful information that should assist you with questions about the
    Sportsman's Firearm Permit.
    To order Sportsman's Firearms Permits, please fax your request to the PA State Police, Firearm
    Administrative Section, 717-772-4249 (for official use only). General questions can be directed to
    717-783-5495.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    gonna be fishing while you camp? You need to show hunting or fishing license and fill out the form.

Pennsylvania Sportsman's Firearm Permit
    The Sportsman's Firearm Permit is issued by the county treasurers in Pennsylvania to individuals that
    have a license to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs. This is a
    shall issue permit and does not require any type of background check to be completed. An individual
    that has a License to Carry does not need a Sportsman's Firearm Permit to hunt with a lawful handgun
    as defined by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
    Below you will find some helpful information that should assist you with questions about the
    Sportsman's Firearm Permit.
    To order Sportsman's Firearms Permits, please fax your request to the PA State Police, Firearm
    Administrative Section, 717-772-4249 (for official use only). General questions can be directed to
    717-783-5495.
    Good idea ^. I'm not aware of the specific limitations since they aren't very popular, but hopefully others can provide more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast