Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Handgun while camping (no LTCF)?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If one is prohibited from carrying, are they also prohibited from owning?
    Not necessarily. The criteria is tighter for a LTCF than for purchasing. A misdemeanor drug conviction is generally prohibiting for an LTCF but not a purchase from an FFL.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    My suggestion would be to get something like a Ruger PC Carbine, Keltec Sub2000 or 16" AR with Law Tactical folding stock adapter. That way it's not a Pennsylvania defined 'firearm' and not subject to license requirements for carry and transport. You'll still have to transport unloaded in a vehicle. These can be kept in a backpack etc. for certainly not instant deployment, but better than nothing. That combined with a good pepper spray and knife makes you pretty well armed.
    Because of the SOE, the usual "work-around" doesn't apply. During a SOE, pretty much anything that goes "bang" requires a license if you're going onto any "public streets" or "public property". For most folks, this pretty much rules out all unlicensed carry once they leave their home.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Looks like I'll just have to continue to rely on my ax and knife. And on a more optimistic note, I've been told that since my convictions are older than 10 years I can petition Allegheny county to have them expunged.

Do ya'll reckon i might have a chance to get a LTCF one day if im successful with the expungement efforts?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanium View Post
    Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Looks like I'll just have to continue to rely on my ax and knife. And on a more optimistic note, I've been told that since my convictions are older than 10 years I can petition Allegheny county to have them expunged.

Do ya'll reckon i might have a chance to get a LTCF one day if im successful with the expungement efforts?
    My understanding is that expungement must be proceeded by a pardon, and that's only possible by petitioning the governor.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Because of the SOE, the usual "work-around" doesn't apply. During a SOE, pretty much anything that goes "bang" requires a license if you're going onto any "public streets" or "public property". For most folks, this pretty much rules out all unlicensed carry once they leave their home.
    Can you double check me on this one?

§ 6107. Prohibited conduct during emergency.

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    Ok so carrying a "firearm" during an emergency is prohibited. But the definition of a "firearm" in this statute does not encompass a standard configuration rifle or shotgun. So carrying one during an emergency shouldn't be affected.

If I'm wrong I'll of course go back and edit my post.
    Last edited by jthrelf; November 10th, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanium View Post

If you can get it expunged, yes and expungements don't take as long as pardons. If you search it you can find the info on whether or not your offense can be expunged. Alternatively, you could talk to a lawyer but they'll want $100 or $200 just to talk to them for a couple of minutes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    But the definition of a "firearm" in this statue does not encompass a standard configuration rifle or shotgun. So carrying one during an emergency shouldn't be affected.

If I'm wrong I'll of course go back and edit my post.
    From 18PA §6107 (emphasis mine):
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.

"Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

(June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days; Oct. 17, 2008, P.L.1628, No.131, eff. 60 days)
    How does THAT definition not include "standard configuration" rifles and shotguns? They most certainly are designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

Strictly speaking, that definition even applies to a hairspray-powered spud gun...as I said before: "Pretty much anything that goes 'bang'."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    From 18PA §6107 (emphasis mine):

How does THAT definition not include "standard configuration" rifles and shotguns? They most certainly are designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

Strictly speaking, that definition even applies to a hairspray-powered spud gun...as I said before: "Pretty much anything that goes 'bang'."
    Didn't see the definition in that specific section.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Handgun while camping?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    You are right in most of your assertions on open carry / vehicle transport, but there's a large grey area about the tent, whether it's a 'dwelling', and then again, whether it would allow unloaded transport. Washington state has said the tent of a homeless man is protected from warrantless searches, but are you homeless? The definition of 'dwelling' as used by PA infers a bit of permanence, of real property that can be sold, which a tent does not have. Will those that may come in contact with you even know the various laws and terms surrounding your situation? You may be right, but still wind up in a protracted legal battle.

As an aside, remember during this state of emergency as declared by Dick Tater Wolf, you are not allowed to open carry without an LTCF.
    Its actually "Dick Taster Wolf"

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Handgun while camping?

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    Its actually "Dick Taster Wolf"
    Have some respect for your governor. His name is "Gov. Dick Taster Wolf"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12