Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new SKS

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: My new SKS

I bought an SKS some years ago....an a couple of cases of steel cased Russian ammo. It is my favorite range plinking gun. I have had removable magazines for it, a number of different scopes. All gone. The current set up is the stock magazine, stripper clips, a receiver/aperture sight.
    It is a good shooter.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post

WOW! I*m glad you are happy, but good JEEBLES! That is the most I*ve ever heard of someone paying for an SKS! By a lot! I just hope you don*t run into the transition I did so many years ago. Started building AKs. But when my ability & strive for accuracy surpassed the AK, I moved to ARs. I know you*ve said you don*t want an AR. I didn*t either at the time. But it was different times then. There was no wasting money. Good luck.
    Well, it's not like any AR was even available to buy anywhere near my budget anyway, let alone the ammo to shoot one. And I definitely saw worse prices, like $750 and $950, although the $950 was one of the ones made to take actual AK magazines, although I couldn't say if it was made that way by Norinco or one of its previous owners. This just isn't a good year for gun buyers, and I was being impatient. But at 34 years old, I think I waited way too long already. The barrel and 95% of the metal on the gun are pristine as far as I can tell, and the serial numbers all match, so I can't really complain. I would have liked to keep the original stock, but oh well, shit happens.

I took it out and shot it a bit, and it's accurate enough at 25 yards, once the sights are dialed in. I didn't get a chance at the 100 yard lane at the local range. It's been really busy. But I did have a nice man helping me sight it in with his binoculars when I did manage to get some shooting done.

(Allegheny County)

25 yards? FIX BAYONETS!!!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    On the bright side ... ammo is still currently to be had at lesser prices than much 5.56
    As to the accuracy I have a yugo I shoot at 200yds at a swinging railroad tie plate with no problem
    I can shoot at 200 yard bottle caps no problem. Hitting them... that*s a problem.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    25 yards? FIX BAYONETS!!!

haha, yeah, I didn't have a lot of time to shoot the day I actually got to the range, and I didn't have binoculars or anything. I'm also pretty sure the other spots further out were taken anyway. But I've gone again since then and put somewhere between 300 and 500 rounds thru it. I had a couple FTFs caused by me or my friend not properly seating the bullets in the magazine when loading them individually by hand. Other than that, she shoots just fine. I'm kind of a terrible shot, but I can pretty consistently at least get shots on a human sized target at 50-100 yards, so I'm happy with it. I just need more practice. I was looking up some stuff on youtube about managing recoil better, and I found some information I think will help. I just gotta get back out to the range, but to hell with this cold.

The last time I did get to the range a few weeks ago though, these 3 younger-looking(probably 20-something) guys showed up with a Garand, a Mosin, an M1A, and a G3, and they were really friendly about letting me and my friend shoot them. I'd shot a Mosin before, but never the other 3. All 4 are guns I wouldn't mind owning, but the M1A, G3, and Garand specifically are 3 of my "dream" guns.

The first thing I noticed about the M1A was how light it was. I expected it to be really heavy, but I thought it wasn't any worse than the SKS, possibly even lighter. Now I'm not sure if it was wood or not. It looked like wood, but then so did the upper handguard, and the owner did point out that part was plastic. So maybe the whole stock was. But anyway, when I shot it, it bounced all over the place compared to the other 3 and compared to the SKS. It's like it's too light to handle a 30 caliber cartridge. That particular rifle was like the holy grail that I wanted to own more than any other gun in the world, but not anymore. I had a great time shooting those world renowned guns that day, but a dream I had since I was like 13 was shattered. I now see exactly why they didn't keep that thing as the primary service rifle for very long and why they removed the selectors when it was. There's no way in hell anyone except maybe Arnold Friggin' Schwarzeneggar is keeping that thing on target in full auto.
    Last edited by DerpSchnitzel; February 14th, 2021 at 11:23 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I*d repair that crack. Epoxy and pins.
    It's a little late for that, unfortunately. I missed this reply earlier, but the stock has long since been destroyed. I wanted to save it, but I'd never feel right shooting it knowing it was cracked like that. And between the $22.50 to buy the new one and the intense smell of sweaty feet and machine oil coming from that thing, I'm not losing any sleep over scrapping it.

(Washington County)

Check out the FAL. The rifle that should of served in place of the M1A.

I just did a cosmoline clean on a parts kit. I have a harbor freight parts washer filled with diesel fuel so I let everything soak in there, then scrubbed in there, and then finished with an acetone spray bottle and wipe down. Pretty quick and painless.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

I saw this Red Nine at an action and it was covered in Cosmolean. I wiped off the left side of the barrel and saw it had a Luftwaffe Eagle on it so I knew right away I was looking at a rare gun from a retired WWII Army Colonel. I put the grease back over the Eagle and I won it for 1K. I took it home and removed the grips and soaked it in kerosean for two days. Then I took it apart and soaked it again in kerosean for another two days.

I oiled it up and put it back together. I also dropped off the kerosean at a toownship dispossal site.

I have been offered a lot of cash for this Red Nine from serious collectors but I am going to keep it.

(Lehigh County)

As a quick note for cosmoline cleanup, some of the options suggested here like mineral spirits and acetone will strip some types of metal finish if left to soak - be cautious when using.

I normally prefer to use CLP + hot water but have had one gun (a Yugo M59/66 SKS) that when I purchased the internals were so gunked up with old dirty cosmoline I had to resort to a quick mineral spirits dunk.

PS: that Mauser C96 is beautiful. That's one of my "maybe if I win the lotto" wish list guns - they're not getting any cheaper!

(Washington County)

Yup I keep the aggressive cleaners away from painted parts and wood.

Important point to make.

Also do not use chlorinated cleaners on stainless parts.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast