Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Auto vs Manual EDC Red Dot Brightness

For those who run a red dot on their EDC pistol, are you using manual or auto brightness and why? I'm getting nearly a 50/50 split in my research with pros and cons for each. The obvious answer is "try both" but that might not be very practical if you're locking into a purchase of one model over another.

I just bought a Holosun 407a3 which is the dot only, no solar model. PSA has them pop up occasionally for $169 shipped which is a great deal. I thought the solar was unnecessary with a 50,000 battery life and batteries that cost less than $1. But then realized it's also a light sensor that operates an auto brightness adjust mode.

The new 407c X2 is $70 more but I've read mixed reviews on the Holosun auto brightness feature. So anyone who can comment on the Holosuns specifically would be great too.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Auto vs Manual EDC Red Dot Brightness

I prefer manual brightness because it lets me set it where I want and not worry about it not being bright enough in bright sun light. The way I figure, being too bright will never be that much of a problem but being too dim could be.

I use manual brightness. Holding the dot against a brighter light or in bright sunshine to make sure I can pick it up and let it set at that setting.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Allegheny County)

Shooting from a dark area to a light area or vice versa can cause brightness issues. Thats why i leave mine on manual.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Shooting from a dark area to a light area or vice versa can cause brightness issues. Thats why i leave mine on manual.
    ^exactly right. My holosun solar with auto brightness is worthless when used indoors looking outdoors and similar situations. If I am outdoors it's fine though.

I like having the option