Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: AR Pistol Lengths

Great discussion, thanks for all the thoughts!

I've bought from Palmetto before, so I'm gonna check out their site for a kit. I should have the lower any day...

(Berks County)

I'd seriously consider other calibers for an AR pistol. The barrel length can significantly decrease velocity, which lighter rounds like 5.56 rely on to be effective. Unless you are loading with fast powders, you can also expect it to be completely deafening indoors without ear pro (if you're at an indoor range I would even suggest doubling up).

I would recommend (just my opinion) a heavier/slower round such as a pistol round (10mm or 45 super), 458 SOCOM or similar (uses fast powders, but you'll want to load it reduced in a pistol), or maybe 7.62x39 (factory ammo will be loud but not as bad as 5.56). A lot depends on the use you see for it.

(Allegheny County)

Toujours prêt

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    M4 is 14.5" barrel and the iar 27 is 16.5", other units may use a 11.5 but not tha vast majority...

The MK 18 uses a 10.3" barrel, used in close quarters (CQB).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Soviet 7.62x39 sez

“He's not a human. He's like a piece of iron.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    The MK 18 uses a 10.3" barrel, used in close quarters (CQB).
    And is not in use by the vast majority of units. But you missed or ignored that part of my statement

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by giant_g2 View Post
    I'd seriously consider other calibers for an AR pistol. The barrel length can significantly decrease velocity, which lighter rounds like 5.56 rely on to be effective. Unless you are loading with fast powders, you can also expect it to be completely deafening indoors without ear pro (if you're at an indoor range I would even suggest doubling up).

I would recommend (just my opinion) a heavier/slower round such as a pistol round (10mm or 45 super), 458 SOCOM or similar (uses fast powders, but you'll want to load it reduced in a pistol), or maybe 7.62x39 (factory ammo will be loud but not as bad as 5.56). A lot depends on the use you see for it.
    This is why I went with a 300 blk build.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by giant_g2 View Post

IMO For a home defense setup I would be more concerned about the increase in noise from going to a shorter barrel than reduced velocity. I don't have an AR pistol but I do shoot a Contender pistol with a 14 inch barrel. Even with a 14 inch barrel it is much louder than a standard AR and you feel a substantial blast on your face when shooting. I can only assume this would look like a fireball in front at night. I briefly shot a 10 inch barrel and the blast was so bad people would stop and look at you at the range to see what you were shooting. You could not shoot this indoors without some serious ear damage.

(Allegheny County)

The only reason I would be shooting indoors is to save someone's life.
    If it meant that I would lose both my pinky fingers if I shot indoors, I would still accept that risk as being "better than being killed".

And you don't have to have fireballs if you don't want them.
    This thing works very well at eliminating/drastically reducing flash.

I was told by everyone on the internet that my 7" 7.62x39 would be a dragon, shooting flames far enough to burn the target.
    Barely any flash, let alone a fireball. Shooting at night would probably be different, but I've SEEN 3 foot fireballs in daylight at the range, and mine doesn't do that at all.
    I was pretty surprised by that one myself.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

OR! You can put an AR- handle on a pistol picatinny rail like I put my M&P 9mm compact 2.0 for home only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast