Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default AR Pistol Lengths

I've been considering building an 80% AR. Looking for a bit of a winter project and figured a pistol might be different from the AR rifles I already have.

So, it seems that there are at least a couple options for barrel length. I'm leaning towards 10.5", but also see shorter available. I'd be thankful for your thoughts as to why one may be "better" than the other...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Pistol Lengths

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post
    I've been considering building an 80% AR. Looking for a bit of a winter project and figured a pistol might be different from the AR rifles I already have.

So, it seems that there are at least a couple options for barrel length. I'm leaning towards 10.5", but also see shorter available. I'd be thankful for your thoughts as to why one may be "better" than the other...
    There are a lot of answers to the question, but some of the answers will fit your need better than others. It just depends on what the intended use is.

10.5 seems to be the gold standard for retaining velocity at distance vs shorter barrels which lose velocity. (sometimes drastically)

MY choice was 7.5" - I chose that knowing about the velocity loss, but for ME, the shortest overall package was the #1 priority.
    I wanted it for maneuverability indoors. If I'm going to be shooting at 100+ yard distances, I have any number of carbines/rifles that I can snatch up - I wanted something short.

Some will argue that an extra 3 inches of barrel will not detract from it's handiness indoors, but that's a personal opinion. Add in the fact that you need to add a muzzle device, and... gee, you're just a few inches short of a carbine. At that point, "why bother" with a pistol at all? (my thoughts on the matter)

So yeah, think about where you intend to use it, or MAY need to use it, and listen to the suggestions posted, then decide what works best for YOU.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPA View Post

Theres a reason Mil uses 11.5/11.7" barrels

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Theres a reason Mil uses 11.5/11.7" barrels
    M4 is 14.5" barrel and the iar 27 is 16.5", other units may use a 11.5 but not tha vast majority...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    M4 is 14.5" barrel and the iar 27 is 16.5", other units may use a 11.5 but not tha vast majority...
    Sorry, read somewhere that was supposed to be a minimum effective length for Mil use. That beyond that other weapons platforms or calibers come into play.

(Allegheny County)

Oh yeah, nothing sez you have to stick to that puny, American 5.56 round...
    7.62x39 velocity is apparently not as adversely affected by sub-10 inch barrels.
    I've made myself a fan of x39 ARs.

7" barrel/2" flash can

(Bucks County)

7.62x39 is the evil AK-47 HIGH POWER assault rifle cartridge. Sleepy Joe, Praying Nancy and The Gang are gonna save the children from that one.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Soviet 7.62x39 sez

Short barrels can be less reliable when switching ammo and can also be harder on parts. I have all kind of short barrels but if I was to pick only 1 itd be around 12".

(Westmoreland County)

Like Emptymag said, depends on what you want. I went with 7.5 plus a 2* flash can cause I wanted in vehicle maneuverability
    And accept the limitations a short barrel provides, but for me it*s a 50 yard gun. Any longer and I*ll go for a carbine length barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast