Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: End Electoral College ???

It won't matter. Where's all the controversy right now? Swing states with large electoral vote numbers. The script will be flipped even worse if it's just a popular vote.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

...and they have a plan...

(Berks County)

I believe that, as states were brought into The Union, they were told that they would have a voice due to the electoral college. If they were to change that parameter, then they should also offer up the opportunity to leave The Union.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

The only idea that I would entertain is to modify the electoral college as follows:

Each congressional district would get (1) electoral vote awarded to the popular vote winner district-wide.

Each state would get (2) electoral votes awarded to the popular vote winner state-wide.

This would possibly give rural areas some more power, as their voting power would not be overwhelmed by the city vote state-wide.

It would still take 270 to win. At least you could feel like you are sending one elector to the College to contribute. It might get more red area people out to vote and swing the state-wide race. Maybe?

So, with this change, as it stands right now, PA would send 9 Republican Electors and 11 Democrat Electors instead of 20 Democrat Electors.

Nationwide, the electoral college would still be for Biden, but only barely.

how about, we work on stopping the SOURCE of the problem (corruption) instead of trying to band-aid our way around solving the problem.

Asimov had a short story that's prophetic in that regard; I'll see if I can find it at some point.
    eta: scratch this... The basic gist was, everyone at every level was "skewing" the data they were passing to their superiors, including their superiors, and MULTIVAC knew that, so that at the end of the day the data it got was meaningless and it made decisions NOT based on it at all! (think it was also a police/pre-crime story.)

eta: it was called The Machine That Won the War.
    Last edited by sota; November 10th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    how about, we work on stopping the SOURCE of the problem (corruption) instead of trying to band-aid our way around solving the problem.
    ^^^^^^This election was not an Electoral College problem it was a Mail In Voter FRAUD problem and corruption resulting in a Coup by the Democrat/Media/Tech Alliance. They are the enemy of the U.S. and must be held accountable.

in this day and age, EVERY voter should have the ability to look online and see WHEN their vote was cast, and WHO they voted for.
    further, i should be able to receive a receipt at time of casting, paper and/or electronic, that also shows the current total counts for all the races on the ticket. that would immediately give crowdsourcing a resource for statistical number evaluation.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    in this day and age, EVERY voter should have the ability to look online and see WHEN their vote was cast, and WHO they voted for.
    further, i should be able to receive a receipt at time of casting, paper and/or electronic, that also shows the current total counts for all the races on the ticket. that would immediately give crowdsourcing a resource for statistical number evaluation.
    You can check on that if you did an absentee or mail in vote. (well for your vote)
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

(York County)

Let's be real. The EC will never be abolished short of a total breakdown of the system. It would require 2/3 of states to agree to be ruled by the other 1/3 and that won't happen. That's not even a Dem/Republican thing. That's a local power thing. I can imagine -plenty- of blue and purple statehouses NOT agreeing to be ruled by the coastal urban elite... even if for admittedly self-serving reasons

But IF it ever happened, I'm still not 100% sure it would work out as the libtards expect.

A couple thoughts on the concept.

1) Changing dynamics are hard to predict. How many conservative voters in CA, NY, MA, IL, OR etc. can't be bothered to vote because they know their vote is effectively worthless? I personally know many voters in NY/NJ/CA/Etc. who never both to vote because they know (and they're right) that their vote currently means nearly nothing. What if it did? Remove EC and all of a sudden the 'turnout dynamics' change.

California in 2020 went 10.7 mil for Biden to 5.7 mil for Trump. 65/35 percent. California has 39 MIL residents. That means 22.6 MIL didn't vote. Some of those are children. Some of those are not eligible to vote. But in the highest-turnout-in-history that still means millions of eligible voters didn't. How many of those didn't vote because "F it, my vote won't count"? Removing the EC changes that.

As it stands, that means Biden got 55 and Trump 0 electoral votes. If it were proportional as it stands, it would have been 36 for Biden and 19 for Trump. BUT what if it ended up 55/45 because conservative CA voters weren't disenfranchised by the EC system and actually came out? That would mean 30 for Biden and 25 for Trump. It changes the whole mix.

FWIW the same is true in "Red" states. You might see more turnout by libs and more support for Biden in 'Red' states. I'm not saying it would skew Red, I'm saying it's a totally different dynamic.

2) A similar (not identical) effect could be achieved WITHOUT the hurdle of a constitutional amendment - by states self-determining to appoint electors proportionally rather than "all or nothing" as most do now. Each state is in control of how electors are assigned, and could do so. But I see no rush of states doing that. Yet IF they did, consider the effects. All of a sudden it's worthwhile for folks to campaign in formerly "Republican" or "Democrat" strongholds. What if instead of PA's 20 votes going to candidate X it was 11 for Candidate X and 9 for Candidate Y? That changes the whole dynamic.

To those on the left who want the EC abolished, my response is "Okay, if you're serious about that, have CA and NY assign electors 'proportionally' instead of 'winner take all'... then I'll take you seriously and we can talk."

TLDR:

The EC isn't going away.

There are lower-hurdle ways to achieve much the same effect.

I wonder if either of the above would result in what the left thinks would happen?
    DGAF

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Not exactly to scale is it? PA and Ohio both have more than half the population of Florida, but the illustration shows them both as being about 1/10 of Florida. So, PA plus Ohio should be bigger than NY and FL, not 1/10 or less. And Texas should be maybe 2 1/2 times PA, not 30 times bigger. California 3 times bigger than PA, not 40 or more..

And Illinois is about four times as big as it should be, since it has almost the same population as PA.

Not to mention, Wyoming should be a blip, not bigger than Ohio.

California: 39,512,223
    Texas: 28,995,881
    Florida: 21,477,737
    New York: 19,453,561
    Pennsylvania: 12,801,989
    Illinois: 12,671,821
    Ohio: 11,689,100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast