Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter Help

(Bucks County)

Default New Hunter Help

Hi guys- first time Hunter this year.

My question is what are some of the better SGL's to Hunt that are within a few hour drive of Bucks county?

So far on my list is SGL 141, 168 and 110. These all have the deer hunter focus areas available and are about an hour and a half drive. Any experience/luck within these?

Default Re: New Hunter Help

I'm not familiar with any of those. I bought the On X Hunt app and it shows all public lands. It's a great tool to find new spots. You are going to have to do some scouting. There are plenty of deer. This time of year scrapes and rubs give a good idea where to hunt. Look in places people overlook. I've found some great spots really close to the roads. Good luck.

(Berks County)

Years ago I hunted SGL110. Wasn't too bad back then. I walked in a couple of miles. I have no idea how it is these days. I haven't hunted in a long time.

(Bucks County)

Shit, I thought this another Biden thread.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Shit, I thought this another Biden thread.
    Me too....thought he was asking our help to support Hunter Biden*s many illegitimate children and crack addiction!
    Whew....

(Carbon County)

I still go to 110 now and then, but it is rough. There are farms below and deer get pushed up when the crops come down. Never hunted 168, but it looks about the same. I live right by 141. I took a long walk(Couple miles) with the loader the other week. Not one acorn to be seen, or sign of a deer. There are no farms really, maybe there are acorns in the bottoms. That area is huge and it bumps against the Lehigh Gorge and Hickory Run. You can hunt both those state parks. Your best bet is probably 110. Pull up some maps and look for Bake Oven Knob. There is a dirt road that goes over the top and a parking lot on top. There is so much public land to hunt a person hardly knows where to start.

(Bucks County)

Thank you.

I am going to check out 110 on Friday. I mapped a couple spots on OnX and it looks like that bake oven knob is a deer hunter focus area.

(Berks County)

Used to do 110 years ago. Went in at Shartlesville. Hiked to the top, mostly all flat up top. Never saw anyone during archery and rifle. And then sometimes came down the Sand Spring Trail. Don't know how it is now. I heard you can drive halfway up.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I'm not familiar with any of those. I bought the On X Hunt app and it shows all public lands. It's a great tool to find new spots. You are going to have to do some scouting. There are plenty of deer. This time of year scrapes and rubs give a good idea where to hunt. Look in places people overlook. I've found some great spots really close to the roads. Good luck.
    How does that work in PA? Does it have a good amount of information? I always just assumed that was an "out west" app

(Franklin County)

I have hunted and hiked state game land 141 many times, on both sides of route 93. As stated earlier, it is vast and there is a dirt road across from the main parking lot on the top of the Broad Mountain that runs across the top of the mountain to an old abandoned PPL power line right of way. The towers are long gone. There used to be a gate across the road at one time that prevented you from going all the way to the end of the road but I understand that the gate is no longer there. There are a lot of trails running down and out across the top of the mountain and a lot of scrub oak on top. I have hunted that mountain and especially on the lower northern side, near the fields, with very much success since 1969. But to me anyway, the trouble is that as with a lot of areas, the deer are not there in the herds like in past years. I have hunted there on days just the past few years and not seen a deer all day. I contribute it to the state having the doe season too long in rifle season for years and still for a week in the second week of rifle season, unlike the three day season of years ago. And back when I started hunting there the coyotes were not there as much as now.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast