Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Do you carry hex wrenches as much as a screw driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Agreed that torx and allen are superior drivers. But, in this case....the 10/22 Ruger standard "carbine" rifle....they can be overkill.

The plastic barrel band is tightened to a very gentle snugness. Any tighter will just warp the plastic band. The take-down screw just needs a snug tightening that can be accomplished with a straight blade. As time goes by, I may find that there is a sweet spot and the FAT wrench w/allen driver will be employed at home. This is not a benchrest competition rifle.

I just want the option to be able to use a plain screwdriver in a pinch, which may never present, but it's there.
    Allen heads and torx rarely get chipped or worn, even after repeated use. The tool rarely slips out and scratches the finish. They should only make new flat heads to replace damaged or missing flat heads in older weapons. Just because you can put more torque on an allen head or torx doesn't mean you have to.

(Bucks County)

Another fastener needs a screw driver slot. On the range today, I noticed the magazine was coming apart, calling for its allen wrench. It'll be slotted this evening, so it can be more easily tightened with my Leatherman plain driver.

Incidentally...the 25-round Ruger BX25 magazine ran purrfectly.

ETA- Cleaning the gun tonight, I discovered the take-down screw loose. Prior to leaving for the range, I had tightened it at 18 inch-pounds. I'll be darned....
    Last edited by Bang; November 4th, 2020 at 07:59 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Allen heads and torx rarely get chipped or worn, even after repeated use. The tool rarely slips out and scratches the finish. They should only make new flat heads to replace damaged or missing flat heads in older weapons. Just because you can put more torque on an allen head or torx doesn't mean you have to.
    For small fasteners they're great. Where they suck donkey balls is in cars.

Toyota used them for the bed bolts on Tundras and Tacomas. 12 x 1.50 thread and six inches long. I can't count how many T55 sockets I broke removing beds when replacing frames.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Another fastener needs a screw driver slot. On the range today, I noticed the magazine was coming apart, calling for its allen wrench. It'll be slotted this evening, so it can be more easily tightened with my Leatherman plain driver.

Incidentally...the 25-round Ruger BX25 magazine ran purrfectly.

ETA- Cleaning the gun tonight, I discovered the take-down screw loose. Prior to leaving for the range, I had tightened it at 18 inch-pounds. I'll be darned....
    Accuracy of a 10/22 can be affected by the stock screw. There's a sweet spot. Tighter is not always better. There are some threads over at RimfireCentral.com on this topic(and ever other posssible 10/22 everyone can think of). Lots of good reading, but don't fall in the rabbit hole.

(Bucks County)

Been there. Member for a few years. I'm not going to "fix" it until Accuracy International shooting competitors beg me to sell it to them.

Gonna try a t i n y drop of removable LocTite and set it at 20 inch-pounds.

(Bucks County)

I'm considering drilling the back of the receiver so a cleaning rod can be sent in chamber first.

Update. It's done.
    Last edited by Bang; November 5th, 2020 at 12:18 AM.

I have a bad habit of leaving tools behind at the range, once even left a set of binocs. I use the cheap HF folding sets of Metric, standard and torx in my range box
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

There are a lot of reports of the action screw coming loose while shooting...to the point that some consider it a normal that has to be lived with.

I ground a split washer (lock washer) both on the outside by .006" reduction in diameter to fit inside the brass pillar, and internally to fit past the threads on the screw. (Harbor Freight baby Dremel has become the go-to for kitchen table smithing). The action screw now compresses a lock washer. Effectiveness to be determined.

Update. Got thinking about that steel lock washer chopping into the brass. Not good. Lockwasher idea scratched.
    Last edited by Bang; November 6th, 2020 at 02:13 AM.

(Bucks County)

Tried something different today. Action screw lubed with Never Seize, tightened to 20 inch-pounds, did not shoot loose. Had been torqueing it dry. Lubed achieves a truer torque. Hoping this makes a reliable difference.

(Bucks County)

Well, Never Seize didn't work. Not only does the action screw turn loose, the rotary magazine also turns loose.

Looking down through the V-block's action screw threaded hole, it appears the action screw is contacting the barrel. That indicates that the screw is too long, reportedly a common situation with these 10/22s. The fix recommended is to shorten the screw. For now, I made a washer of a credit card .0245" thick, applied blue LocTite to the action screw and tightened to 20 inch-pounds. Also applied blue LocTite to the threads of the rotary magazine.

I'm pretty disappointed at the finish on the aluminum receiver. It flakes off very easily. So far only on unseen surfaces, but I think I see a righteous refinish project ahead.

Meanwhile, feed/eject issues have ceased. Accuracy seems acceptable and likely to improve with time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast