Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber pistols

(York County)

Default Kimber pistols

I hear alot about bad experiances people have had with Kimbers. I've never had any problems with mine. Does anyone have anything to add???

Angry Re: Kimber pistols

It's been hit and miss with me, I have a Kimber CDP Pro II, a $900+ gun, and the mags were complete crap, granted pretty much all of Kimbers mags are garbage with the exception of the new TAC-mags, most people replace the factory mags anyway, but both mine and my wife's Kimbers are in .40, which is a hard mag to find for 1911's.

After replacing the mags, her Stainless Ultra works fine, my CDP still had issues feeding, both with nose down jams and failure to go into battery, I had to replace the recoil spring with a 22lbs spring from Wolf Gun Srings.

Then my ejector started coming loose, Kimber customer service does not pay for shipping, so I took it to EGW and had the ejector replaced with an EGW long ejector.

Took it to the range yesterday, and results were favorable, I had no jams, failures to fire. However I will admit that this gun is still in it's "break in" period, but having that many issues is BS.

The Kimber CDP Compact that I had but sold to a memeber here was 100% reliable, I should have kept it.

I'll say this. If I ever do buy another Kimber, and it has problems it will go right back to the factory, but then again, I probably won't buy another Kimber so I won't have to worry about that.

Personally I'm not happy with the price for a gun that says "Custom Shop" but doesn't perform like a "custom" gun should. How am I supposed to "break in a gun" when it won't even feed.

Next 1911 I get is either Springfiled or S&W.

Also, you can go to the m1911.org forum and read horrow stories on Kimbers customer service all day long, some guys have had to send thier gun in 2-3 times before Kimber got it right, yet another reason I took it to EGW.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; March 11th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(York County)

Default Re: Kimber pistols

Thanks for the info. I've got a Custom II and had no problems (1500 rounds). I'm looking for a commander length 1911 and was gonna get the stainless Pro Carry HD but now I'm leaning towards the Springer G.I. Champion. Half the price. I'd like to send it to Rpbar for one of their packages. I've heard good things about the G.I. series and I think i'm gonna get it.

Robar is pricey, you may want to check out EGW: http://egw-guns.com/catalog/, which is located in Quakertown, PA. Or NOVAK: http://www.novaksights.com/

There's alot of good 1911 smiths out there. I think going with the Springer is a good bet, also don't overlook Para-Ordnance, I like thier reliability, but thier Parakote finish sucks.

(Lawrence County)

I have a couple. My carry gun is a Series I Compact Aluminum Stainless. It has been flawless. My Series II Eclipse broke the rear sight blade, had the tritium go dim and I broke 2 series II plungers during dry fire (yes, I am "that internet guy" that had the series II fail on him). Once I tore out the Series II junk the next 10,000 rounds were fine.

(York County)

I had a Para 14.45 LDA that I got when they first came out. It was ok, but I think Paras are kinda over priced. I'm going to look into EGW. Thanks. BTW, you a Marine?

Yes, well "former" Marine, I did 5 years active, and about 6 months in the reserve untill my 8 years was up, I didn't care for the reserve all that much.

Almost forgot, another problem I had with my Kimber CDP, the mag release would hang the mag when pushed in all the way, had to take the mag realease out and do some grinding/filing to make the mag drop when the release was pushed in all the way.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; March 11th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Here is some EGW slide work:

If you want durability there is only one option: hard chrome

(Luzerne County)

Two older fellas I shoot with at the range both had Kimber 1911 45s. One had some jamming issues while both had their night sights turn pink. The icing on the cake for them (they sold their guns) was Kimber Customer support was not very supportive. Not first hand experinece with Kimber but second hand from two straight shooting guys I trust. YMMV.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Lehigh County)

My Kimber Compact SS is 100% reliable, it has over 3K rounds without a hiccup, I'm using Kimber's mags and none of them gives me any trouble, nightsights stills nice and bright, they are about 8-9 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast