Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Can I buy a stripped AR lower without going through an FFL?

I've researched this as best I can, but I seem to be getting conflicting answers.

I've read that the ATF considers a stripped lower a "firearm." But, as you know, in PA, a PA resident can sell another PA resident a rifle or shotgun (but not a handgun) without going through an FFL transfer.

However, I was told by a local dealer that since a stripped lower can be converted to either a rifle or pistol (depending on the length of the barrel you install), it must go through an FFL transfer.

Does anyone know FOR SURE (100% certain) the answer to the question in my title. Assume that the buyer and seller are both PA residents (and no criminal background, etc.)

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Can I buy a stripped AR lower without going through an FFL?

no FFL needed for a Stripped never been build lower in a FTF sell PA resident to PA resident
    Last edited by JDA58; October 26th, 2020 at 09:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

and the STOCK is what makes it a rifle more so that barrel length

(Montgomery County)

Lower receivers are considered "other" on the federal form and are not considered "firearms" by PA standards.

So yes they are legal for FTF transfers in PA between non prohibited PA residents.

What I actually don't know is:

1) how is the status of 'once designated as a rifle receiver always a rifle receiver' get managed?

2) does a stripped Glock lower or serialized P80 lower or P320 fire control group get transferred as a handgun in PA? How is it listed on the 4473? Would be a nice way around the ROS/registry.

3) you need to be 21 years old to buy a lower receiver from an FFL... But private transfer do you have to be as well?

(York County)

Let me follow up based on both of your answers: I assume then that the stripped lower could be mailed from the seller directly to the buyer, if both live in PA. Am I correct? (Assume that both buyer and seller are over 21.)

(Allegheny County)

If you're buying from an online vendor, yeah, it's going to need to be picked up/transferred at an FFL.

Buying FTF, PA resident to pa resident, a handshake is sufficient - but not required.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunsrfun1 View Post
    Let me follow up based on both of your answers: I assume then that the stripped lower could be mailed from the seller directly to the buyer, if both live in PA. Am I correct? (Assume that both buyer and seller are over 21.)
    That I'm not really sure of, I would think so but ,?? at this point it's not much more that a hunk of metal... but ???

(Carbon County)

My understanding is yes, same as a rifle could be shipped to a PA resident from another.

As for managing the once a rifle issue, there's no way I can think of other then contacting the manufacturer of the receiver to ask if it was assembled by them, and take the seller of the receiver at their word that they are the original owner and how it was configured, if ever.

Or, you can buy an 80% kit direct from the manufacturer and do some work yourself.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    and the STOCK is what makes it a rifle more so that barrel length
    For a rifle to be a rifle it needs both. So a receiver with a stock attached it still just that, a receiver.

(Delaware County)

Face to face with a stripped lower is NOT an FFL item. Remember to, some are only LAWS because a State says they are. A person can sell their rifle to another PA resident on a deal between them. But do the same in New Jersey, they will arrest, try & sentence you. WHY? In Arizona, BOTH rifles & pistols can be transferred person to person WITHOUT an FFL! It*s perfectly legal. Yet, do that here and you*ve somehow committed a crime???

Does anyone ever think on this? Why is it, can open carry in Pa and no one bats an eyelash. But you do in NJ, NY, or California ...and the police will very likely shoot you. WHY?
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast