Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload or Not

Default Reload or Not

I have a few questions for you reload experts:
    Can you make top Quality Ammo? Accurate and Clean. I do not like cheap dirty ammo I spend the money now on higher quality.
    Can you make different points like Semi Wadcutter?
    A progressive Machine seem to be the easiest looking at the Dillion for examlpe. and if you got a progressive machine is that all you need?
    Trying to decide if I should start reloading or not and these questions would help instead of answers from someone trying to sell a machine.
    Any other thoughts or considerations I should make would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Reload or Not

Noyt an expert but.
    With a little care(required) your ammo will be accurate and as clean as any.
    The selection of bullets is very broad in most calibers.
    Most manufactures offer a reloading package with most of the needed items.
    Before you decide to start buy a couple of reloading books Modern Reloading by Lee or Lymann or Sierra. Take your time and study them and decide if it is for you.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Noyt an expert but.
    With a little care(required) your ammo will be accurate and as clean as any.
    The selection of bullets is very broad in most calibers.
    Most manufactures offer a reloading package with most of the needed items.
    Before you decide to start buy a couple of reloading books Modern Reloading by Lee or Lymann or Sierra. Take your time and study them and decide if it is for you.
    Everything he said.

For pistols and high volume shooting I use a progressive. For quality and precision rifle I load on a single stage and weigh everything by hand.

You can certainly make ammo better suit to your own firearms.

Lycananddependsonwhatyoushootthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I have a few questions for you reload experts:
    Can you make top Quality Ammo? Accurate and Clean. I do not like cheap dirty ammo I spend the money now on higher quality.
    Can you make different points like Semi Wadcutter?
    A progressive Machine seem to be the easiest looking at the Dillion for examlpe. and if you got a progressive machine is that all you need?
    Trying to decide if I should start reloading or not and these questions would help instead of answers from someone trying to sell a machine.
    Any other thoughts or considerations I should make would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Yes, you can make top quality ammo. You can also make it more accurate than factory ammo. I'm still working on clean. I'm sure it can be done, just haven't attempted it myself yet. Yes, you can also buy different bullets to give you the point you're looking for. Graf & Sons has almost anything you would need, including bullets, brass, and other assorted reloading equipment. (Just to give you some idea of cost, etc.) His prices are reasonable with a $4.50 flat shipping rate.) Everything can be found locally too.

A progressive press will probably be complicated for you to begin with as there are many things going on quickly. It'll be harder for you to keep an eye on everything at once unless you're comfortable with the reloading process already. That said, Dillon is one of the best presses made, and I understand their customer service is great! You WILL pay for the quality though!

I'd suggest getting a Lyman Reloading manual 49th edition, or a Lee Reloading manual. The Lee is cheaper, and both have good reloading instructions so you can read & learn before you decide if you want to do it. The Manuals can also be found locally.

(Northumberland County)

I'd also suggest looking at the owner's manuals for the firearms you are using.
    Some manufactures specifically say that if you use reloaded ammunition, you void the warranty from the factory - Glock, for instance.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

Had my Kimber book with me. Says no reloads or lose. My question is with some of the crappy factory ammo out there and I was to make quality bullets how would they know?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Had my Kimber book with me. Says no reloads or lose. My question is with some of the crappy factory ammo out there and I was to make quality bullets how would they know?
    Don't ask....don't tell.

Lyangoodpolicythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

What has been said is all true. Ask questions and read some books. What do you want to reload and why are the questions you need to ask yourself. A clean load will mostly be FMJ. The powder is a big factor for clean. Clays is very clean. Unique is dirty. A mid range load that burns everything is cleaner than a hot load that leaves a lot of powder.

Get a single stage to start with because you can load more types of ammo on it. Once you get into it, look at a progressive. And you will be getting a lot to go with what ever you get.

what I have read single stage is a lot slower what is an average output for single stage.

(Centre County)

Once you have a set procedure for a single stage you can load a lot of rounds in several hours. It will depend on what you are reloading, straight wall pistol, necked pistol, rifle, whether you have to lube the outside or not, what your experience level is, etc. Straight wall pistol goes the quickest especially if you use carbide sizing dies. For reloading with a single stage here is what I do (for pistol)

1. Clean all cases, insure no cleaning media remains.
    2. Deprime/resize all cases
    3. Bell case mouth as necessary. You might need to or you might not, depends on what you are loading and the diameter of the bullet.
    4. Prime all cases. This can actually be done at the same time you deprime (deprime on the downstroke, reprime on the up stroke). I like to hand prime mine to insure the primer is seated correctly.
    5. Charge the case.
    6. Put the bullet in the case mouth.
    7. Seat the bullet and crimp the case as needed (either roll crimp [revolvers] or a taper crimp [for pistols that headspace on the rim]
    8. Put into cartridge boxes

There are variations to the above and I didn't go into the many different ways you can reload ammo. The reloading manuals will go into this in great detail and will answer most if not all your questions.

I would reload even if it cost the same to reload as to buy fqactory. For me it is a relaxing hobby and I can tailor my loads to whatever I want to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast