Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Deer tagging question(s)

Had some discussion recently and wasn't sure of the correct answer.

If an anterless deer is shot on the border of a WMU or private land bordering DMAP, but drops over the boarder in a different WMU or the DMAP area, which tag does it get? The DMAP issue is a bit less ambiguous because either a DMAP or a valid WMU tag could be used. It gets interesting though if the deer is shot border hunting and both tags aren't available. That is a deer is shot where a tag is available but drops where one is not.

I always thought where the deer is laying is the tag that gets filled, but cannot confirm that.
    The sticky bit is if a hunter shoots a deer while along a border and crosses over where a tag isn't available (hunter doesn't have one). I typically avoid such confusing circumstances, but the question was raised, and I don't have a good answer. Not sure how a WCO would handle that. I'm guessing it's up to the hunter to make correct choices. This arose during a conversation regarding private land that bordered DMAP. Hunter shoots a deer that is standing on DMAP. Hunter is on private land, but deer runs over and drops onto private land. Hunter only has a tag for DMAP. The obvious answer is don't place yourself that situation, but it can happen even if not border hunting, and deer gets a hit poorly and runs a 1/4 mile or more. The crossing WMU question is more a general question in the same realm.
    Actually my situation where I live.

Default Re: Deer tagging question(s)

Since most of these borders are roads, I would assume that if you're hunting/shooting on the correct side of the road you are fine. A game warden should be able to follow a blood trail to where the animal was shot if there is any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Since most of these borders are roads, I would assume that if you're hunting/shooting on the correct side of the road you are fine. A game warden should be able to follow a blood trail to where the animal was shot if there is any doubt.
    WMU's yes, but not dmaps

This is a more than real situation for me, but it actually involves two states. I lease property in NY which borders a PA state gameland to the south. Is the middle of the road the border? Sometimes seasons overlap. I make sure I have on the appropriate orange required by PA and can zig zag across the street into both states. GOD forbid if I have a pistol on me. We had a bear hit on the NY side once and it ran south to PA. It was PA bear season at the time. The blood tracked clear back to PA. I will be down your way tomorrow. Hoping to see a bear. If you see any deer, coax them into DMAP 81