Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Need help with some reloading...

Now, he might want to know how to pronounce it.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Good thoughts brother. I do have the hornady tool and will give it a shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Klutch, do you have the tool to measure the factory core-lost ammo from base to ogive? I would seat all reloads to same length because it looks like it may be your sweet spot. I had a problem with a 6.5 creedmoor, some stuff would shoot sub moa and some would shoot for crap. I measured the length to ogive on the good stuff and set all of the rest to same, problem solved.

And a more consistent place to measure from since lead tips can and do deform
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    What's 'ogive'?

(Berks County)

As I slowly move into reloading...I reloaded a few 9mm and chrono'd them today. First I shot some factory rounds for comparison and to ensure that I was using the chrono right. I have lots of factory ammo but only had 10 reloads with me. My reloads are a little slower than the factory rounds but not much (don't have the numbers in front of me right now) so I guess I could goose them a bit, or do I need to? I think it was about a 50 FPS difference.

And I was wondering if anyone might have any tips on what works best for record keeping? I'm green at this so there isn't anything I've already learned outside of how to make a round that cycles the gun, doesn't blow anything up and how to use the chrono. I figure type of powder, amount of powder, wt of bullet and velocity (but not sure if I want muzzle, 25 yds or what). Oh, and I was shooting at 25 yds.

Thanks
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

As I slowly move into reloading...I reloaded a few 9mm and chrono'd them today. First I shot some factory rounds for comparison and to ensure that I was using the chrono right. I have lots of factory ammo but only had 10 reloads with me. My reloads are a little slower than the factory rounds but not much (don't have the numbers in front of me right now) so I guess I could goose them a bit, or do I need to? I think it was about a 50 FPS difference.

And I was wondering if anyone might have any tips on what works best for record keeping? I'm green at this so there isn't anything I've already learned outside of how to make a round that cycles the gun, doesn't blow anything up and how to use the chrono. I figure type of powder, amount of powder, wt of bullet and velocity (but not sure if I want muzzle, 25 yds or what). Oh, and I was shooting at 25 yds.

Thanks
    Lots of reloading suppliers sell rolls of stickers/tags to record loading info. Or ya could print yer own.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...gs&FORM=HDRSC2
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Lots of reloading suppliers sell rolls of stickers/tags to record loading info. Or ya could print yer own.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...gs&FORM=HDRSC2
    OK and what data do you find useful or useless? Is primer brand and number important?

One other question on the OAL. Do you load OAL specific for a gun? And if so, how is it determined? Would it be appropriate to place a bullet into a shell loose and partially inserted, into the barrel and let it get pushed into place by the barrel and use that for an OAL?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks
    What you're doing sounds pretty good...so far.
    As to record keeping....I'm old school so I keep a "shooter's notebook". It is just a relatively small bound journal that I enter useful (to me) information. Chrono tests recorded by hand shot by shot and sometimes I'll transcribe them to a spreadsheet (I use Adobe Open Office) esp. if I want to publish the results here. When I do I print the spreadsheet and paste it into the book.

I like to keep things simple so my reloads are based on the old IDPA Power factor (bullet weight X velocity) 125,000 for .38, 9mm 165,000 for .45 ACP. For powder selection I chose powders that put me in that range and cover the widest number of calibers. Right now I'm trying to wean myself off some of the stuff and replacing them with Hodgdon's CFE-Pistol. I was using ACCURATE #5 for almost everything, but found that Keg powder seemed to lose its strength over time. .38 Special Loads I'd developed and chronoed at around 850 fps suddenly struggled to get into the 700 fps range. So I stopped buying 8# kegs and now buy no more than 4 1# canisters at a time.

For Bullets we have one of the best suppliers around right here on PAFOA...DucatiRon aka Steel Valley Casting look him up on the web. I used plain cast lead for decades but have switched to largely coated lead bullets from Ron. But along with that plated bullets like Berry's are very good as are cast lead from Penn Bullets, to store my loaded stuff, I find empty coffee cans work well as do the large Cashew and Peanut jugs (which are square sided so they stack easier). For pistol calibers I usually load in lots of 300 (when no developing loads) since that is about as long as I can stand it. A strip of masking tape with caliber and load data in sharpie pen identifies the contents of each can or jug. Any switch in bullet or powder usually requires load development e.g. a 124 gr. 9mm Truncated Cone and a 124 gr. RN might run close for charge weight or they might vary a bit. BUT I always make a dummy of each type. That way if I change for whatever reason, I have an exemplar to use to reset seating die and maybe taper crimp die.

Have fun and good luck!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

OK and what data do you find useful or useless? Is primer brand and number important?

One other question on the OAL. Do you load OAL specific for a gun? And if so, how is it determined? Would it be appropriate to place a bullet into a shell loose and partially inserted, into the barrel and let it get pushed into place by the barrel and use that for an OAL?
    Haven't found anything particularly "useless". As to Primers the question is usually one of "hardness". For pistol work Federals are the most "sensitive" they'll detonate with a light firing pin strike which is important if you're loading for a finely "tuned" revolver. Machts Nicht for semi-autos. Winchester are usually middle of the road and CCI the "hardest".

What you describe for a means of determining OAL works fine for a RIFLE. In fact Horady makes a tool for doing just that with specially jiggered cartridge for your specific caliber. Generally for pistol calibers stick to or as close as you can get to the "book" OAL a small variation won't hurt, But seating too deep can cause a problem. For magazine fed pistols your reloads must fit in the magazine!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clarion County)

I keep all the data I can in medium spiral notebooks. LOL have notes from the 70's.
    Since I've learned to keep a prudent reserve of components I also keep an inventory list with lot numbers.
    Keep eyes open for recall notices.
    FWIW:
    COAL, 4 methods for rifle in this article. I utilize #1.
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...ning+COAL.html
    Pistol use saami specs and barrel as gauge with "plunk" test.
    Revolver is a little different beast. Saami specs will suffice for the majority.
    Once I have the cartridge coal where I want it I make marked dummy round for future reference.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Yes , if you want to know what loads shot well , accurate , clean/dirty , high pressure , etc. Relaying on memory at your (our) age could be iffy at best!

More for those who are out to wring the most accuracy and consistency from their handloads. If yer just cranking out cheap blammo , probably not. My experimenting days are over , I've pretty much settled on standard loads for most handgun ammo , but ya never know what components are gonna be available.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast