Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Need help with some reloading...

So I’m loading for a Remington 7600 270win a Tikka t3 lite 7mag and now my new Weatherby 7-08Rem. I’m doing well with the 7mag with RL22 and IMR7828 and just grabbed a pound of 7828ssc to try. I only put my first rounds through the 7-08 today so not too concerned there yet but my 7600 with factory Rem Core-Lokt 130gr put 2 shots touching at 200yds the third wasn’t fired cause they touched and that’s awesome!!! I started loading with H4831 and did a ladder test for accuracy only since I don’t have a chrono and got about 1.25” at 100. I tried H4350 and RL17 since I have a 22” barrel and wasn’t impressed with either. I tried RL16 a few weeks ago with good accuracy but nothing better than the 4831. I’m shooting hornady sst130, Sierra 130 boat tail, Nosler Accubond 130. I have partitions in 130 and interlocks in 130 and 140. My seating is at 3.26 for all so far. Any help to try and get it under 1”

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Need help with some reloading...

Klutch, enjoy your enthusiasm. Sounds like you're doing good.
    On the reloading side different primers or adjustment of COAL may make a difference.
    Did you measure the chamber to determine initial COAL?
    And old time saying is 10 shot groups don't lie. This will help determine if it's the load or the rifle that needs tweaked.
    Just wanted to add I haven't touched a 7600 for a few decades but would of been satisfied with a 1.25" group then.
    Learned about a scope cut with one of those off the bench.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

A Chrono is an invaluable tool for load development. The Factory ammo has a 3060fps muzzle velocity according to Rem,
    and your powders will need almost a max charge to garner that same speed. According to the Hodgdon site, your IMR 7828
    should be a good choice to get the speeds up. Have you measured/verify barrel twist rate? You may want to work up some
    of the 140gr loads if the twist rate is faster than what the 130s want.

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Klutch, enjoy your enthusiasm. Sounds like you're doing good.
    On the reloading side different primers or adjustment of COAL may make a difference.
    Did you measure the chamber to determine initial COAL?
    And old time saying is 10 shot groups don't lie. This will help determine if it's the load or the rifle that needs tweaked.
    Just wanted to add I haven't touched a 7600 for a few decades but would of been satisfied with a 1.25" group then.
    Learned about a scope cut with one of those off the bench.
    Haha. I learned about it with a Remington ADL in 243 going prone only about 5 years ago. I*m happy with the load/Gun for deer but I think it should shoot better even by a small amount. It also could be me my eyes are a little more fuzzy so maybe my shooting isn*t so Annie Oakley these days. I did measure the chamber with a fired case and a lose fitting bullet but I think I*m gonna seat them to book and gradually push them out if groups open up. If I remember right many years ago I loaded all my 270 to 3.23* no matter what I fired it from. I started using Rem 9 1/2 and now I*m with federal 210 I have cci and Winchester and even some magnums so I can switch it up. I appreciate the info
    Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    A Chrono is an invaluable tool for load development. The Factory ammo has a 3060fps muzzle velocity according to Rem,
    and your powders will need almost a max charge to garner that same speed. According to the Hodgdon site, your IMR 7828
    should be a good choice to get the speeds up. Have you measured/verify barrel twist rate? You may want to work up some
    of the 140gr loads if the twist rate is faster than what the 130s want.
    I*ll admit I didn*t load to max on anything yet not for any other reason than if I got good accuracy I was leaving it there since it*s for whitetail only and paper hinting until season hits. My 7600 is 1/10 twist and should stabilize 130 and 140 and 150 bookies. I*m still experimenting with some combos so time will tell

(Susquehanna County)

Just for grins and giggles give the Norma reloading data a look and see if it looks promising. I use Norma MRP for my 6.5X55 S.E. and with both Sierra and Hornady 140 gr. bullets exceed the "book" velocity without hitting the max load.
    Last edited by Brick; October 24th, 2020 at 06:24 PM.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Carbon County)

Try more bland bullets. The new "Super bullets" tend to fly with less accuracy. Anything I load for deer gets Remington Corlokt bullets if available. Hornady soft points after that. I have a 7x57 that I shoot Remington 140 gr PSP Corlokts out of and it is awesome-way more accurate than I can shoot. I am not overly impressed with bullet performance on some of the newer designs either.

(Wayne County)

Klutch, do you have the tool to measure the factory core-lost ammo from base to ogive? I would seat all reloads to same length because it looks like it may be your sweet spot. I had a problem with a 6.5 creedmoor, some stuff would shoot sub moa and some would shoot for crap. I measured the length to ogive on the good stuff and set all of the rest to same, problem solved.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Klutch, do you have the tool to measure the factory core-lost ammo from base to ogive? I would seat all reloads to same length because it looks like it may be your sweet spot. I had a problem with a 6.5 creedmoor, some stuff would shoot sub moa and some would shoot for crap. I measured the length to ogive on the good stuff and set all of the rest to same, problem solved.
    What's 'ogive'?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Shhh-h-h-h-hh......
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    What's 'ogive'?
    Simply, the ogive is that tapered (curved) part of the bullet in front of the driving or bearing surface.
    https://www.grantcunningham.com/2015...-ogive-anyhow/
    th.jpeg
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast