Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Need help with some reloading...

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Are you using the EXACT bullet shown in the Hodgdon load. A different bullet could have a large difference in where you should seat it even if it is the exact weight. Seat a dummy round with the length you are using and make sure it just drops in all of your chambers without touching the lands. Another recommended trick is to blacken the bullet with a dry erase marker. You will see marks where the rifling is if it is touching.

I meant finding a spent case by mistake that they shot
    Aaaa OK, I'll pay more attention to my brass. I do not know who made this batch of bullets and I don't recall who I bought them off of, I got them ten years ago or more. They are 115 gr FMJ. I'll check a dummy in all of my guns and see how they fit. Thanks.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Is it possible for the bullet crimp to be too tight?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Over crimping will make it fail the plunk test.

Google primer flow. I'm not making it up.

(Bucks County)

Not for pressure. You want the crimp snug so the case returns to the correct size but not so hard that it deforms the bullet and forms a cone with the casemouth. A 9mm headspaces on the case mouth so you need to have the sharp edge exposed. As long as it drops in to all of your chambers you have enough crimp

Since these were some unknown bullet you will need to determine the seating depth for the throat as described. Find where it touches and back off at least 0.030. And make sure the OAL will fit into the magazine since in rare cases you need to go shorter.

Looking at your chrony data I am not sure if you have a problem and are just being fooled by some scrap cases mixed in. Reading primers for pressure signs is very inaccurate and if you have a pistol that does not support the area around the firing pin (the square window) you can get fooled. Your chrony is what you should go by. Velocity is directly proportional to pressure if you use the proper burn speed (and HP-38 is perfect) so if you are getting modest velocities you are at a safe pressure. And if your velocities are constant you don't have a problem with variable charges (you are getting an outstanding spread). Next time you go out chrony some factory ammo using the pistol that leaves the square window. My guess is it will still be there and the velocity will be higher than your reloads.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not for pressure. You want the crimp snug so the case returns to the correct size but not so hard that it deforms the bullet and forms a cone with the casemouth. A 9mm headspaces on the case mouth so you need to have the sharp edge exposed. As long as it drops in to all of your chambers you have enough crimp

Since these were some unknown bullet you will need to determine the seating depth for the throat as described. Find where it touches and back off at least 0.030. And make sure the OAL will fit into the magazine since in rare cases you need to go shorter.

Looking at your chrony data I am not sure if you have a problem and are just being fooled by some scrap cases mixed in. Reading primers for pressure signs is very inaccurate and if you have a pistol that does not support the area around the firing pin (the square window) you can get fooled. Your chrony is what you should go by. Velocity is directly proportional to pressure if you use the proper burn speed (and HP-38 is perfect) so if you are getting modest velocities you are at a safe pressure. And if your velocities are constant you don't have a problem with variable charges (you are getting an outstanding spread). Next time you go out chrony some factory ammo using the pistol that leaves the square window. My guess is it will still be there and the velocity will be higher than your reloads.

All sounds reasonable, thanks for the help. I tried to log some factory loads first for comparison but somehow I fumbled that part of the excursion. Fortunately, I got it figured out by the time I got to my reloads and definitely by the time I got to my .338s. IIRC I also set my OAL to what my factory ammo is.

(Allegheny County)

sigh

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Now, he might want to know how to pronounce it.
    Oh jive
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Those rectangular-looking primer strikes are typical of Glocks.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Another reloading question...H&Ks have fluted barrels and I have heard that the flutes make the brass ineligible for reloading. What do yous think about that?

Another reloading question...H&Ks have fluted barrels and I have heard that the flutes make the brass ineligible for reloading. What do yous think about that?
    I've reloaded the fluted brass before. The sizing dies take no prisoners.. Always check for rim splits/separation and if brass needs trimmed..
    SigGendered

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast