Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Need help with some reloading...

Never loaded the .338 magnum. So this is just food for thought.
    One site for info I've used over the years: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...er+Magnum.html
    "The most suitable powders for reloading the .338 Winchester Magnum are the medium slow burners such as IMR4350 and ADI 2209 (H4350). Powders in the 4831 range are simply too slow and heavily compressed charges fail to produce desirable velocities with bullet weights up to 250 grains. Slower powders tend to be most useful when loading 275 to 300 grain bullets."
    With this in mind I'd consider your Win.760. Relative quickness, aka burning rate, on most charts is very close to 4350.
    Many charts on web, here's one: https://loaddata.com/Article/BurnRat...-Chart-NEW/159
    FWIW I use H414, same as 760 but different lots, in a 375 H&H mag with lighter bullets, and it works well.
    760 has a rep for being somewhat temperature sensitive so if you work up max loads in cooler weather keep an eye on them when the heat hits. Recommend mag primer.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Never loaded the .338 magnum. So this is just food for thought.
    One site for info I've used over the years: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...er+Magnum.html
    "The most suitable powders for reloading the .338 Winchester Magnum are the medium slow burners such as IMR4350 and ADI 2209 (H4350). Powders in the 4831 range are simply too slow and heavily compressed charges fail to produce desirable velocities with bullet weights up to 250 grains. Slower powders tend to be most useful when loading 275 to 300 grain bullets."
    With this in mind I'd consider your Win.760. Relative quickness, aka burning rate, on most charts is very close to 4350.
    Many charts on web, here's one: https://loaddata.com/Article/BurnRat...-Chart-NEW/159
    FWIW I use H414, same as 760 but different lots, in a 375 H&H mag with lighter bullets, and it works well.
    760 has a rep for being somewhat temperature sensitive so if you work up max loads in cooler weather keep an eye on them when the heat hits. Recommend mag primer.
    Thanks for all that information, I'll sort through it. I do have a brick of LRM primers for the job.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Powder tricklers, looking for reviews and recommendations.

And hand priming tools while we're at it.
    Last edited by Walleye Hunter; February 28th, 2022 at 08:27 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Powder tricklers, looking for reviews and recommendations.

And hand priming tools while we're at it.
    Trickles are simple devices, not much to go wrong. That being said, I have an RCBS that is 40 years old that will outlast me. It is an older one that doesn't stand as tall as the new ones. Not a problem for me since I don't have one of those newfangled electronic scales.

Handprimng tools.....went through several Lee units? The old style was a good product, newer ones not so much. Been using the RCBS unit for a while now but am upgrading to the bench mount.

RCBS trickler with height stand

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012916673?pid=169955

RCBS hand primer that requires shellholders from a press

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012925290?pid=329291
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

I shot some reloaded 9mm this week and got these primer strikes. What is the significance of this? I have a factory round in the picture for comparison. The primers are Winchester SP.

Primer Strikes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I shot some reloaded 9mm this week and got these primer strikes. What is the significance of this? I have a factory round in the picture for comparison. The primers are Winchester SP.
    Which is which? I'll presume the bottom round was your reload. Shot in a glock, and showing extreme pressure signs..
    SigGendered

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Which is which? I'll presume the bottom round was your reload. Shot in a glock, and showing extreme pressure signs..
    Not sure of the extreme pressure signs in the Glock case. I don't have a Glock but routinely scrounge cases that look like this and have the square crater with factory loads and if you look the primer edges they are still round. It does look like the military crimp was not swaged / trimmed which is not good.

The top case looks like an extremely light load. Was this some remanufactured ammo?

(Berks County)

Shot out of an H&K USP9C. And primer crimp is a possibility. The top one is a factory round, not a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not sure of the extreme pressure signs in the Glock case. I don't have a Glock but routinely scrounge cases that look like this and have the square crater with factory loads and if you look the primer edges they are still round. It does look like the military crimp was not swaged / trimmed which is not good.

The top case looks like an extremely light load. Was this some remanufactured ammo?
    The pressure signs are the smashed case face deformation. The primer hit appears raised in the photo, which
    Would be another indication of over pressure. What was the load and COaL of that round?
    SigGendered

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast