Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Need help with some reloading...

OK, I have this question...what affect does the gap between the bullet and the barrel have on things? Might that be called 'bullet jump'?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    OK, I have this question...what affect does the gap between the bullet and the barrel have on things? Might that be called 'bullet jump'?
    Actually it's called ''leade'' or ''free bore''. The accuracy geeks claim the less free bore , the more accurate. It can also work against ya , as in the case of some 5.56 NATO rounds in a .223 Rem chamber. The 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde chamber has a longer leade , but the .223 is rather short. The bullets ogive can engage the rifling before the bolt is fully closed and be pushed back in the case , creating high chamber pressure with some powders/loads. They'll blacken their bullets and seat a few , the black will show marks if the bullets are engaging the rifling when chambered.

2_AR-15-223-vs-556.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Might that be called 'bullet jump'?

''Bullet jump'' was the subject of big debate amongst revolver shooters who argued the 1/10th of an inch greater jump when a .38 Special round was fired in a .357 mag length chamber (K-38 vs Mod.19 for instance) made for losing scores.

Then why are S&W K-22s and the Colt Officer's Model Match , with their .38 Special length cylinders , with almost a half-inch of freebore ,the most accurate .22 revolvers ever?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

It's about time I tried loading some rounds for the .338 WINMAG. I have every thing I need and probably a couple different powders to choose from. I have 20 casings prepped and ready to go. I believe that the rule of thumb is to start 10% below max and go up from there, correct me if I'm wrong. Powder options are H4831SC, IMR4831 (are those two same thing?), IMR4451 and Win 760 Ball. I have one lb each of those, which would be best? I am finding applicable data on the Hogdon site for those powders. Things like what load to start with, how many of those and increase load by how much and how many different loads would you make at one time for trial? I guess 100yds for test shot? Unfortunately, I do not have large amounts of any of those so I would have to rinse and repeat with any new lot of any of the above.

(Warren County)

Start lower.

Some guns respond better to less powder.

Work up a ladder 3 rounds minimum at each powder charge.

I go by .5 grain increments. YMMV.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

It's about time I tried loading some rounds for the .338 WINMAG. I have every thing I need and probably a couple different powders to choose from. I have 20 casings prepped and ready to go. I believe that the rule of thumb is to start 10% below max and go up from there, correct me if I'm wrong. Powder options are H4831SC, IMR4831 (are those two same thing?), IMR4451 and Win 760 Ball. I have one lb each of those, which would be best? I am finding applicable data on the Hogdon site for those powders. Things like what load to start with, how many of those and increase load by how much and how many different loads would you make at one time for trial? I guess 100yds for test shot? Unfortunately, I do not have large amounts of any of those so I would have to rinse and repeat with any new lot of any of the above.
    Depends on your bullet weight. I*m guessing low weight since you mentioned 4451. Make sure to pay attention to the COAL for a given published load as it can affect pressures

I like to have at least 3 rounds of each test load to use majority rule

Like said, start 10% below and work up, so step size may be limited by available brass
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Depends on your bullet weight. I*m guessing low weight since you mentioned 4451. Make sure to pay attention to the COAL for a given published load as it can affect pressures

I like to have at least 3 rounds of each test load to use majority rule

Like said, start 10% below and work up, so step size may be limited by available brass
    I'm pretty sure I have some 225 and 250gn bullets. Would that be 10% below minimum or maximum as per the charts? I am clueless on which powder to use with which and how they burn.

I'm pretty sure I have some 225 and 250gn bullets. Would that be 10% below minimum or maximum as per the charts? I am clueless on which powder to use with which and how they burn.
    10% below max (which will usually be below or near min, so you want to make sure you're still above minimum)

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Note that these loads are listed for max COAL, so you'll want to reduce the load 2-3% more if loading at at shorter COAL

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.35.00 PM.jpg

Looks like the Win760 has the smallest amount of powder and would stretch the powder out longer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SigGendered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    10% below max (which will usually be below or near min, so you want to make sure you're still above minimum)

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Note that these loads are listed for max COAL, so you'll want to reduce the load 2-3% more if loading at at shorter COAL

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 8.35.00 PM.jpg

Looks like the Win760 has the smallest amount of powder and would stretch the powder out longer.
    Thanks, that is what I was looking at earlier. I guess I could try different powders too and see how that goes. I have a good bit of brass but it's not all processed.

Yes, the hodgdon site will filter out and only show powders that work for the caliper and bullet weight you select. Some of the bullet mfg (Sierra, Barnes, etc.) have Apps and web sites that you can get other powders (non-hodgdon) that work with bullet weights that you have. (again being careful of COAL and conservative with charges that far contradict other sources)
    SigGendered

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast