Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Long Range Bolt Gun Setup -- WHY?

I've been wanting to purchase a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 creedmoor for awhile now. It's inexpensive but has some great features for a budget gun. Basically I have a plan to get one for about $400 (discounted Cabela's cards, active junky, price match, Savage rebate) which is just stupid cheap. I would put on the Primary Arms ACSS Apollo for $470. Then a mount and some 6.5 ammo, so I'll be over a grand.

The question is - WHY do I want to do this when my current club is only 100 yards? I could join University Rifle club in Reading and make the 45 minute drive which ain't bad, but there's another $250 to drop.

So basically I want to do this but there's no point living in Southeast PA. If I lived out west in Utah, etc. I would have done it years ago. I suppose my answer is because it's cool and I just want it - but does that justify the money when I have other 'wants' on my list?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Long Range Bolt Gun Setup -- WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I've been wanting to purchase a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 creedmoor for awhile now. It's inexpensive but has some great features for a budget gun. Basically I have a plan to get one for about $400 (discounted Cabela's cards, active junky, price match, Savage rebate) which is just stupid cheap. I would put on the Primary Arms ACSS Apollo for $470. Then a mount and some 6.5 ammo, so I'll be over a grand.

The question is - WHY do I want to do this when my current club is only 100 yards? I could join University Rifle club in Reading and make the 45 minute drive which ain't bad, but there's another $250 to drop.

So basically I want to do this but there's no point living in Southeast PA. If I lived out west in Utah, etc. I would have done it years ago. I suppose my answer is because it's cool and I just want it - but does that justify the money when I have other 'wants' on my list?
    I think you answered you're own question:
    there's no point living in Southeast PA.
    Anywhere in between Philly and Pittsburgh I'm sure there's clubs with more than enough land for 100+ yard ranges. The club I belong to 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh has a 200 yard rifle range. Philly is just not gun friendly, for so many reasons.
    -Brandon

(Bucks County)

And that is why i sold my 308, 30.06, 7.62x54r rifles.

-Zach

If you're planning on making any modifications in the future, you might want to look at the Savage 12FV. Cabelas frequently runs sales on them(particularly in Feb.) I think I got mine for $320. I bought one several years ago in .308, they weren't making 6.5creedmoor at the time or I would have got that. The stock is junk, but if you're planning to replace it anyways it might be something to consider.

(Allegheny County)

I know where your coming from. My max is 300. I have a empty place in my heart for a long range(insert name here) mm precision rifle.

When I price it and take away the "I want it" factor I can't justify it. 300 yards is open sight range. Don't need a Nightforce.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    If you're planning on making any modifications in the future, you might want to look at the Savage 12FV. Cabelas frequently runs sales on them(particularly in Feb.) I think I got mine for $320. I bought one several years ago in .308, they weren't making 6.5creedmoor at the time or I would have got that. The stock is junk, but if you're planning to replace it anyways it might be something to consider.
    I've seen those but I'm wrong-handed (or rather wrong-eye dominant) so that limits my options . They don't have a lefty version. But overall the 110 Tactical does have a better feature set even for the extra cost IMO.

Take a day and go to New Holland ( http://www.nhrpc.org/ ) or Ontelaunlee ( https://ontelaunee.org/ )
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

There's also a 300 in Birdsboro that I'm going to try to join when they open membership up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I know where your coming from. My max is 300. I have a empty place in my heart for a long range(insert name here) mm precision rifle.

When I price it and take away the "I want it" factor I can't justify it. 300 yards is open sight range. Don't need a Nightforce.
    300yds is open sites? I'll have to give that a try but I'd like to sharpen my skills at 300 then out as far as I can reach.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post

The more I think about this, the more I'd like to get some help making it happen. I'd like to see 2" groups@300YDS with my .338 WINMAG on open sights, could you help me with that?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    There's also a 300 in Birdsboro that I'm going to try to join when they open membership up.

300yds is open sites? I'll have to give that a try but I'd like to sharpen my skills at 300 then out as far as I can reach.
    Some open sites are better than others. Just need a big target

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast