Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Long Range Bolt Gun Setup -- WHY?

Thanks for the replies all! Sorta decided against it at this point... But also still thinking about it too

I just got a Rem700 in .223 26" heavy barrel. I was thinking about rechambering it to .223 Wylde so I could shoot 5.56 match ammo for varmints and .223.. Thoughts on this plan?
    We have some coyotes and other varmints that will go out 300+yds

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    It can be done. I would, however, recommend that you think hard about what chamber you choose. If you aren't shooting 5.56 pressure, the .223 Rem chamber will offer more accuracy. If you want to shoot 5.56 loads then rechamber in .223 Wylde. It can shoot .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO with better accuracy than the 5.56 chamber.

Lycanshouldatypeditoncethrope
    Never mind Sensei Lycanthrope answered for me.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Westmoreland County)

If you want long range challenge at shorter ranges consider shooting a 22LR or subsonic 300 Blackout. THere are people/rifles that can really do some amazing things with 22LR at 200 or even 300 yards. The 300 Bloackout would be less challenging at 200 or 300 because of its much superior BC. In addition, with 300 Blackout it is easier to control ammo consistency. The guys that shoot long range 22LR not only have to find the right ammo, but then spend time finding the right lot and then stock up - 22LR is very finicky. In present times this is impossible w/ all the ammo shortages.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I just got a Rem700 in .223 26" heavy barrel. I was thinking about rechambering it to .223 Wylde so I could shoot 5.56 match ammo for varmints and .223.. Thoughts on this plan?
    We have some coyotes and other varmints that will go out 300+yds
    There are a lot of chamber options to consider. Talk to a gunsmith familiar w/ 5.56 and explain your objectives. A couple of years back I went through this and the guys at Compass Lake Engineering were very helpful. My objective was to get an AR set up for 600 and 1000 yard F-class. I didn't care about maintaining 'service rifle' classification but wanted to keep it magazine fed (which limited me to 75 grain bullets). Ended up with a 22" varmint Special Bartlein barrel that had a 1-7 twist, 4 groove and a CLE chamber.

"The CLE match chamber is basically the same as a .223 SAAMI spec chamber with a modified lead angle in the throat. The CLE chamber has a 1.5 degree lead angle per side where the .223 is over 3 degrees. This allows for less bullet jump with out of the magazine ammo yet still providing an advantageous lead angle for modern high ballistic coefficient bullets. The Wylde chamber is .002 bigger in the cartridge case area and has a longer throat. On the average the CLE chamber will shoot 23% smaller groups with out of the magazine ammo. The CLE match chamber will give better barrel life due to the shorter throat and gives slightly higher pressure. There have been no problem shooting PMC, Lake City and IMI .556 Rounds out of the CLE chamber."

I cannot attest to the 23% (and do not know the source of that quote (found it on the internet), but can say that my AR is between .5 to .75 MOA at 600 yards and after 1500 rounds the accuracy has not degraded

(York County)

There is a 1000 yard range not far from where I live. Went there once to watch the 50 calibers in action...
    For me, anything over 250 yards is a long shot.
    Used to hunt groundhogs - coyotes have eaten them all.

(Washington County)

I don*t like the term long range rifle. I prefer the term precision rifle. The latter implies you can deliver above average accuracy at any range. A lot of precision rifle matches will present smaller targets at shorter distances. That seems more challenging to me than lobbing bullets at a target a half mile away. But then again my bread and butter is USPSA, so I know what I like. I shot a precision rifle match this summer out in Ohio. Targets ranged from over 200 yards to just under 800 yards, with various shooting positions, target sizes, and order of engagement. It was fun but I will stick to pistol for now.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123