Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Long Range Bolt Gun Setup -- WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Some open sites are better than others. Just need a big target
    Uh huh, figures. I want maximum distance on watermelons.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I'd like to get some help making it happen. I'd like to see 2" groups@300YDS with my .338 WINMAG on open sights, could you help me with that?
    Hits on man size silhouettes with service rifles. AR, M1A and M1.

I need a rear peep for that distance and a doped rifle.

I’ve always kinda felt the same way having only a M1A with iron sights and a Scoped Ruger American Predator for a deer rifle. This year I changed my stance a bit for two reasons one was the ammo shortage that probably going to last a long time and the 2nd being my physical capability at times due to the disease I have.

I started taking the few bolt guns out I have and then added another into the pack and have really been enjoying it. I shit Hi power with an M1A and irons for a few years but this feels different to me. Learning the rifle, different scope, hold overs, or adjustments and how the rifle handles different loads is more enjoyable then I remembered it being. While I would rather be shooting and shooting with an AR and a pistol it’s just not always feasible and this fills the gap for me.

I don’t think your going to need 500 yards plus to hone your skills which is what you can also work on while doing the other things I stated above. I belong to ontelaunee in New Tripoli and we have 50-300 yards for rifles, and so far I’ve spent time on the 50 and 100 yard ranges the most because that’s were my optic needed to be sighted in at and because that’s were my current skills really are at this time. I don’t use a sled and only a bag or a bipod. It’s not as easy as one would think in my opinion unless your skills are already built up.

If you have the money and the time I think it’s a worthy endeavor to invest in a quality budget set up even at 100-300 yards. The skills you build will apply at all yards, and while the rifle and round can hit out to 800+ out if the box it doesn’t mean the shooter can. I know I can’t.

(Carbon County)

Up above the Blue Mountains there are a couple public (Game lands) ranges out to 300.

(Butler County)

The club I go to goes out to 600 yds. I've never used it. I'm more of a 50 yd. kinda guy. My groups stay a lot smaller and I don't need a lunch break to walk out to the target.

(Northumberland County)

In a similar boat, but I knew that going in. Existing range is 100 yards max, but theres another with 300 yards close by that I need to join next year. Beyond 300, I'll need to travel or make friends with someone who has a lot more and than me.

Theres something very satisfying about a gun that shoots half inch groups at 100 yards though, and is longing to stretch its legs at some longer distances.

Saw that Savage deal after I got my Ruger. I regret nothing, but dollar for dollar, that Savage should be a hell of a deal.

(Bucks County)

Honestly it depends on how important your other wants are as it can rapidly devolve into a very expensive hobby. I decided over a decade ago I wanted to get into long range shooting after a trip to my friends cabin and an impromptu shooting match with hunting rifles at a 600 yard milk jug showed me how much fun it really was. Since then I*ve invested a ton of time and money into learning the skills because they are very useful to have as someone who regularly hunts a property that can offer 300+yard shots on deer.

If you are on the fence before committing yourself you could take a long range shooting class and rent a rifle from them to try. I personally would recommend Ghost Firearms Training, they shoot at a 1000 yard range in Lewistown, PA and I*ve shot with them several times over the years.

(Delaware County)

I got ya beat on *is it worth it?*.... and I*ll pre-answer YES!

This is my bench rifle. It started as a used Savage Model 10 which I stripped down to bare Action. It received my *basement* Blue Printing, then I did a complete custom build. 26* Schilen match barrel in 260 Remington. Several small parts from PT&G including the bolt I fit. The barreled action is stuffed in an MTD TAC21 chassis with an Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 perched on top. Hell, I even machined & fabricated the shoulder stock. This rig will easily engage a man sized target at a Mile away. It*s FAR more accurate than I have ever been. And yet...., I live in Delco(just south of Philly). Oh, and I*m actually disabled and don*t even drive myself. Only time I can shoot usually is if my son goes. Don*t have any close friends near me. But again, the answer most emphatically is YES! It is 100% worth it.

BTW, there is a 300yd Games Land range near Carlisle. I get there when I can with my brother in law. He lives like 15mins from that range. And it*s free..so.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    And that is why i sold my 308, 30.06, 7.62x54r rifles.

-Zach
    sold guns?

What is this you speak of?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Elk County)

Jthrelf:

It would be a drive, but also a nice weekend getaway to shoot VBR (Varmint Bench Rest) monthly at the Ridgway Rifle Club's 1000 yd range:

VBR Rules and Regs:

http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/Club...019%20Walt.pdf

http://ridgwayrifleclub.com/

You have a rifle that shoots THE VBR cartridge, but these competitors inlet their guns in stocks that more resemble a 4x4. They get 140+ guns in as many as 7 relays, and people from all over including Canada.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast