Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Source for Chair Holster?

Situation:
    Elderly (late 70s) woman about to be spending days alone at home is considering a home defense firearm for the first time. While she is not confined to her recliner, she would not be getting out of it quickly in an emergency, and on-body carry is just no bueno.

Discussions have led to what will likely be a 2-3" .357 (not an airweight) shooting .38s - this is not the question, nor is training, etc.

Does anyone know of a source for a holster that keeps the gun between the arm and the seat of a stuffed chair? Is this something that's on the market? I have some design ideas in my head, and we're both pretty crafty, but reinventing the wheel and all that...

Thanks.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Source for Chair Holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

Buy the cheapest holster you can find, remove the cushion and find the wood in the armrest (behind the upholstery), then screw the holster to the wood with a drywall screw. You will have to play with where to mount it and if you need a right or left handed holster but you should be able to hide it.

Personally mounting a handgun like this would scare the hell out of me. Especially is she occasionally has her grandkids over. Depending how mobile she is mounting it higher, even behind the chair if it is against a wall, might be a better option. I am not saying you shouldn't do it just make sure she understands the issue.

How about a Remora?

Rick

https://www.amazon.com/Garrison-Grip...gads-lpcontext

i didn't even know about these, was thinking a carved out mock book to set on an end table. within reach but able to be moved to a safe location if guests (as mentioned by another poster)
    it'd generally fit right in an elderly woman's room where she spends a lot of time.

good thing i always make sure to check all zipped book covers when guests pass into my facility... also their cigarette packs.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    How about a Remora?

Rick
    This would be my suggestion as well and extremely easy to implement. I believe it's their ankle holster that has Velcro on one side. You could put a few matching strips inside the chair and voila, the holster will stay put when the gun is drawn, and the trigger will be protected at all other times. Honestly you probably wouldn't even need the Velcro if the compression between arm and cushion is decent enough, but it will add a bit more security.

By the way, their customer service is great and if you shoot them an email with the situation they will be able to help further (up to and including a slightly customized fit at no extra charge - I've done it before with them).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Buy the cheapest holster you can find, remove the cushion and find the wood in the armrest (behind the upholstery), then screw the holster to the wood with a drywall screw. You will have to play with where to mount it and if you need a right or left handed holster but you should be able to hide it.
    Not bad. Will check out the chair tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Personally mounting a handgun like this would scare the hell out of me. Especially is she occasionally has her grandkids over. Depending how mobile she is mounting it higher, even behind the chair if it is against a wall, might be a better option. I am not saying you shouldn't do it just make sure she understands the issue.
    Her local grandkid (my son) is 30 years old. The out-of-town grandkids are college, high school, and middle school girls. All in all, not a concern of mine.

She's not getting out of her seat. If someone comes thru the door, she will face them from where she sits, less than 12' away.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    I use a Blackhawk Bedside Holster for my 1911 at night. Similar concept. Just need to anchor it more solidly than just gravity/friction as it will tend to move over time with getting up and down.

I second that Remora suggestion, or a cheaper sticky pocket holster.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This would be my suggestion as well and extremely easy to implement. I believe it's their ankle holster that has Velcro on one side. You could put a few matching strips inside the chair and voila, the holster will stay put when the gun is drawn, and the trigger will be protected at all other times. Honestly you probably wouldn't even need the Velcro if the compression between arm and cushion is decent enough, but it will add a bit more security.

By the way, their customer service is great and if you shoot them an email with the situation they will be able to help further (up to and including a slightly customized fit at no extra charge - I've done it before with them).
    I'm liking the screws into the wood frame idea more than the velcro. If the velcro comes loose when she puts the recliner up or down, she'd have to go fishing for the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast