Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default 28 ga. 3inch shotguns ???

I have 28 ga. shotguns by Remington and Ruger. All are chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells. I see that there are now 3 inch shells for sale. What shotguns are now equipped with 3 inch chambers to match? And, can the existing shotguns be converted?
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 28 ga. 3inch shotguns ???

Benelli Ethos offers a 3" chamber. I don't know if others have followed. I'm sure existing guns can be reamed out to 3" if enough metal is present to do so safely. Probably the newest fad that will soon fade away considering 1 ounce loads already exist for the 2 3/4" shells IMO.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

Years ago I had a Tristar O/U in 28ga that I believe was marked 3". The gun was a total POS, but that was probably 12 years ago.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    I have 28 ga. shotguns by Remington and Ruger. All are chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells. I see that there are now 3 inch shells for sale. What shotguns are now equipped with 3 inch chambers to match? And, can the existing shotguns be converted?
    The Ruger will forever be 2 3/4". Ruger parts are no longer produced and to change the gun would destroy it's value. You would need a barrel set to change the Ruger. With the Remington you might be able to find an aftermarket barrel unless it's an 11-48. The current manufacturers that make a 28 gauge are Browning, Beretta, Savage/Stevens, Tri Star, CZ, and a few others and it's a mixed bag of which guns are chambered for the 3" shell.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.p...00549-28+Gauge
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

I doubt your action is long enough to be converted to 3 inch shells. Most need a slightly longer and heavier "magnum" action and what is the point of that in a light 28 ga. A bigger question is why anyone would even think about a 3 inch chamber. A 28 gauge is a rare bird with expensive/ hard to find ammo. Instead of getting the even harder to find 3 inch shells just get a 20 gauge. The shorter 20 ga will pattern better anyway.

(Jefferson County)

Might as well be using a 20ga, the only benefit a 3" 28ga would have would be a tighter shot column.

I've got 12, 16, 20, 28, and 410 shotguns, none of which ever needed 3" or 3.5" magnums.

You have to steer yourself clear of new "magnums" and cartridges, they are just marketing ploys to squeeze more money out of people. Cartridges made in the 1800 had killed everything on this planet, and all loaded before the 1880s were with black powder. ...critters haven't evolved bulletproof armor since.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!