Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Re: Neighbor complaint/conflict. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Deer aren't afraid of saws and whatnot, they are afraid of people walking around in the woods.
    Uh yeah, true, deer watch me shoot on my range all the time. I've had them less than 50 feet away while shooting and they stand and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Uh yeah, true, deer watch me shoot on my range all the time. I've had them less than 50 feet away while shooting and they stand and watch.
    But you wont see one within 500yrds opening day

(Tioga County)

Well, I have run into plenty of issues over the years on a wide variety of such things involving property and the first thing I will tell you is that within the bounds of your property you need to do what you need to do. Period. They don't pay to maintain it, they don't pay the taxes on it, they have no say at all.

If anyone approached me like that, they'd get told off.

I'm happy to work with neighbors and most people you can talk to to reach a conclusion that benefits everyone. I have done this on multiple things like hunting, water drainage, access, etc.

But I'm not putting up with people flying off the handle. If you need to put up a fence, cut wood, do maintenance, do what you need to do.

I think you will find if you acquiesce to this a-hole, that you will end up out of money and on the losing end. It is neither to your benefit or your responsibility to do what he wants you to do. You do not control the deer or tell them where to go.

(Berks County)

Thanks all. He sent me a text offering to come over with his teenage boys today (Sunday) and help with clearing. I think his wife (who is very chill) might have told him he went off the rails. If he's calmed down and apologetic, and offers help every Sunday, I think I'll just say that this is what I have to do, but I'll try to avoid sawing through those dusk hours. We'll see how it goes.

And his initial threat of being 'not being neighborly' meant we'll just have no communication/relationship at all. Update later tonight for those following the drama, lol.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Thanks all. He sent me a text offering to come over with his teenage boys today (Sunday) and help with clearing. I think his wife (who is very chill) might have told him he went off the rails. If he's calmed down and apologetic, and offers help every Sunday, I think I'll just say that this is what I have to do, but I'll try to avoid sawing through those dusk hours. We'll see how it goes.

And his initial threat of being 'not being neighborly' meant we'll just have no communication/relationship at all. Update later tonight for those following the drama, lol.
    Hope it works out

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post

That sounds better. I had a situation with the guy who 'owns' my right-of-way to my property in Saranac Lake, NY. I feel like my biggest problem was the lengths I went to to respect his property and not make a big mess of it, which my ROW
    language permits me to do. His attitude took a full 180 when I showed him that language and told him that I'd respect his demands while complying with the ROW language.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Update: He showed up this morning with his two sons and as soon as he got out of his truck was very apologetic. I said yeah you were a total dick, and he admitted it and apologized again. He and the boys did as much in 4 hours as I could do by myself in 4-5 2 hour sessions after work. Told him I'll try not to run the saw every night but if I need to, I need to, and he backpedaled and said he understood and apologized yet again. Told him he was way overstepping and he admitted it. He probably just had a crappy day and was looking forward to a quiet night and the sawing just set him off.

So I have enough to do during the week to make progress without probably having to even saw. He offered to come every Sunday until it's done. All's well that end well. It does pay to have a cool head and de-escalate.

(Lancaster County)

I bet he went home and bitched to his wife about how unreasonable you were being and she set him straight.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

FWIW, there have been more than a few times I was a dick to someone in the heat of the moment, and it took my wife telling me so to make me go back and make it right. Fair enough. Kudos on him for whatever perceived 'swallowing his pride' necessary to do so.

I agree with the 'If you treat me like a dog, I'll lift my leg on you" idea. Yet my general sentiment is I'll always work with a neighbor who asks nicely / presents an issue reasonably. In most cases I'd go MORE than half-way to find an agreeable compromise with them.

Example: I own some rural property reached via an easement. The owner of the underlying property wanted a locked gate. The existing gate blocked my property too, and he had a bad habit of changing-out the lock on it without telling me. Went round-and-round with him about it. Offered to pay to move the gate 20' so it blocked his property but not mine (Ironic, since I was fully in favor of having a gate). Offered to pay to install a "code" lock so no key was required. Bent over backward and it was all just "no". He was just pissed off I had the easement.

I was tempted to go get the Bobcat and just knock down enough trees I could drive around the gate. My wife talked me outta that one.

Eventually I just kept a pair of bolt-cutters in the car and if he changed the lock I'd cut it off.

Never did get that one worked out until he died. His son took it over. The son came to me about the 'gate' problem and I said "Sure. Either we just both agree to not change the padlock, or I'll pay to implement solution A, B or C, whaddya want?" Problem immediately fixed (we just agreed to stop with the padlock-change game).

So yeah, it's a shame he didn't "go high" from the get-go. But sounds like all's well that ends well.
    DGAF

Nice outcome!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast