Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio?

(Erie County)

Default CB Radio?

I was thinking of picking up a CB radio I can throw in the pick-up or even throw in a back-pack.

Any suggestions?

(Berks County)

Default Re: CB Radio?

Since you're considering trowing it in a backpack I'm guessing you want a handheld? Why CB?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

CB is active in SE PA. Have one in my truck.

The original social media.

(Lancaster County)

I have had one in my trucks/jeeps since I started driving. do not get on it often as much as I once did. They are quite a help on the interstates when traffic comes to a halt and delay if not entertaining listening to the truckers. When I did a lot of offroading our group all had them and is is nice for communicating obstacles on the trail. I do go to Bald Eagle State Forest to do some four wheeling, all the jeep/off road clubs there monitor channel 16 (4x4)

They are a nice addition to any vehicle kit, In my tool bag I pack a handheld with a vehicle power adapter for EVA activities or loaning to another driver I may need com with. Most people see them as dated tech, we will see when the Chinese shoot down all our cellular satellites from their space station and moon bases, there will be a run on CB's like the Covid T-paper debacle

If you are going to get a dedicated vehicle unit , I highly recommend the Cobra C75 WX ST, The actual radio mounts under the dash or console and all the controls are on the handset, very compact for newer vehicles with out a lot of mounting options, the days of just sheet metal screws to the bottom lip of steel on the dash are long gone, not much knee space on newer vehicles for boxy sets

https://www.cobra.com/products/c75wxst

(Lebanon County)

CB is a very viable license free communications tool. you can pick up an el cheepo at Walmart for $35. It's rather light weight, and the primary weight (for a back pack) would be in the battery needed. You could also precut a jungle antennae for it to throw in the pack. While not as flexible as the HAM gear, it's infinitely better than the FRS and GMRS kit.

(Philadelphia County)

Look at the Uniden and Cobra models. Rather small and inexpensive. They will do anything any of the others do, and you don't need any bells and whistles. You'll get better range with a vehicle mounted antenna. The handheld's are just way too short.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Bucks County)

I still have one, somewhere, haven't bothered to mount it in the past 2 or 3 vehicles, sold all the old 23ch stuff and picked up a used Cobra 40ch.

One feature I always look for is a RF gain control. It lets you run with the squelch open [turned all the way down] and bring up the RF gain until things get quiet.

You loose all the background noise. it gets so quiet you forget the CB is on until someone nearby transmits.

Had that feature, way back, on a 23ch Midland with LSB/USB driving to work at 2 am on the NJ TPK, it would be so quiet I'd turn the RF gain down too and some nearby guy would open up with his linear amp and pop my speaker. I'd see the nodulation bouncing the needle byt only hear the beginning of the transmission. Had to get a robust external speaker after replacing the internal one twice...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    I was thinking of picking up a CB radio I can throw in the pick-up or even throw in a back-pack.

Any suggestions?
    The answers you seek would be a little better if you could provide some context.

What exactly are you looking to do? Would this be purely for emergency communications or would this be more for a hiking and offroading tool? Could it be used purely by yourself or do you have other people you want to communicate with?

(Butler County)

CB radio is great, easy to use, and license-free. I've had one in my truck for years for when I travel. But, with it being so easy to get and use makes it's effectiveness lower. Even on a good grounded setup in a truck, with a large reflective plane your antenna can broadcast off of, you can get a few miles at best. I'm sure certain setups are better than others and if you have the right geography nearby it can go a decent amount, but the transmit power limit really lowers your radius. Especially since you're asking about a handheld, take the time to learn about HAM and get a good Baofeng. No reason you can't have both, but a handheld CB is pretty useless IMO.
    -Brandon

(Montgomery County)

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP ... well maybe sidetrack it, but perhaps may be of interest to you.

@ pens87pgh I have a Yaesu FT8800R dual band repeater mobile radio I use primarily as a home base unit. I'm mounting a copper pipe j-pole in the attic soon. But it is mounted on a board with an external speaker so I can take it in the car, although I rarely do. In your opinion, how good are the magmount whips, like a Hustler? I know a professional NMO install would be better, but I rarely use it in the car. It transmits at 50W on 2M and 35W on 70cm.

?How good are those magmounts, in your opinion, for occasional use? I won't ever mount the radio permanently in the vehicle, it will always be an in/out kind of thing. But I'm open to having a professional antenna install and leaving the cable under the front pax seat when not in use.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

K3JPC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast