Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Remington 870 +1 extension

I'm thinking of adding one to my police trade in 870. Can anyone give a recommendation for a good one? I'm thinking I want a +1 instead of the longer versions.

Thanks for any advice.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Remington 870 +1 extension

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    I'm thinking of adding one to my police trade in 870. Can anyone give a recommendation for a good one? I'm thinking I want a +1 instead of the longer versions.

Thanks for any advice.
    May I ask why you only want a +1? I prefer to have my magazines flush with the barrel for the increased capacity and because I think it looks nice.
    I would recommend Scattergun Tech if you only want a +1 though. I had their +2 extensions and it was a fine quality extension; undoubtedly better quality than tacstar or choate.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005317750?pid=575332

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the reply. My interest is to keep the gun as light as possible. I've always thought the plus two extensions seemed to affect the ability to point rapidly. Maybe I'm just a pansy.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by DRB View Post
    Thanks for the reply. My interest is to keep the gun as light as possible. I've always thought the plus two extensions seemed to affect the ability to point rapidly. Maybe I'm just a pansy.
    So, I got out my scale and the magazine cap weighs 1 ounce but my extension weighs 4.5 ounces. Add 3.2 ounces (give or take depending on the load) for an additional 2 shells of 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot and you're adding about 7 ounces to go from 5 rounds to 7. What I don't know is how much your gun weighs (mine weighs 7.6 pounds) but to give you a percent on that weight increase but let's say it's on the light side and weighs 7 pounds; that's 112 ounces. It's a 6% increase in weight. That does not account for perception of a change in balance though and that can be subjective.

I bought a carlson +4 and cut it with a pipe crimper to make an extension that would be flush with the muzzle and give me a 7+1 capacity. I think shell carriers on the receiver affect the balance more than adding a mag extension. I keep my extra ammo on the stock for that reason.

My 870 Tactical and the 1956 870 Wingmaster I restored for my sister's birthday this year

(Lancaster County)

Thank you for the well thought out information. it sure sounds like my perception is not grounded in reality.

Or, maybe I truly am just a pansy.

(Centre County)

Here's my latest 870's, don't know if I'm going to put extensions on or not although it would make them even cooler (IMO)
    Oh, yes, they are NFA firearms (part of my business inventory right now)

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Here's my latest 870's, don't know if I'm going to put extensions on or not although it would make them even cooler (IMO)

Sweet! I agree that the magazine tube extensions would make them even cooler. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a link in this thread already for a Scattergun +1 that was generously provided by some highly knowledgeable fellow ...

(Centre County)

Yeah, that guy was the one that made me start thinking about that Thank you. Almost tempted to try a +2 to see what it would look like and if not happy it would go on my 18" barreled 870.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Yeah, that guy was the one that made me start thinking about that Thank you. Almost tempted to try a +2 to see what it would look like and if not happy it would go on my 18" barreled 870.
    Glad to help. You'd have the magazine sticking out past the muzzle by about 4 inches if you use a +2 on a 14" barrel. Every +2 I've ever had or gotten measurements for has been 6" long.

(Chester County)

I get my Remington shotgun parts from this gentleman.

https://tacticalgunslings.com/

Wilson Combat makes a one shot and so does Remington.

https://tacticalgunslings.com/wilson...gton-shotguns/

The thing to watch for on any of the mag tube extensions is their match up with the mag tube. generally the two piece, (that is a tube and tube nut) extension tubes give a better quality fit on the inside without any catching on the misaligned tubes. I experienced that problem years ago with a Choate extension on an 870 Express. Remington made tube extensions are two piece.I have a Choate extension on my Winchester 1300 and haven't experienced any difficulties like I did with the 870 Express. Now I have an 870 Police with the 6+1 and I changed out the barrel clamp for a CDM 12S Barrel Clamp to put a swivel mount on one side and a light on the other.

https://www.cdmgear.com/roc12.html

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast