Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Browning Buckmark Hunter

I'm looking to purchase the aforementioned .22LR pistol, but I'd like to know more about it. Can anyone give me details, likes or dislikes?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Default Re: Browning Buckmark Hunter

I have basically the same gun but mine has a rubber grip. They are really outstanding guns. I have tens of thousands of rounds through it with no problem. Accurate, great trigger. I was going to buy the gun with the wooden grip, I thought it looked great. When I held both in my hand I found the cheaper gun with the rubber grip actually felt better. Check both out if you have the chance.

(Philadelphia County)

they are very accurate but the take down for cleaning made it not worth it to me and i sold it.. didnt like having to physically remove tiny screws just to clean it. very stupid design. too many other 22lr options out there that are just as good and easier to deal with. my keltec p17 is the most accurate 22lr pistol i have ever shot, flawless operation, and was $210 out the door - takedown and cleaning is a snap; my longslide sr22 is another favorite.

(Northampton County)

I have the rubber grip version too. mine also has the flat side barrel. I've had it for 30 years and thousands of rounds through it with out a hiccup. The 2 screw takedown for cleaning is not an issue, sometimes the recoil spring is a little tough to get into place, but I understand on the newer models the spring is captured, so no problem there either.

Smit

(Westmoreland County)

I have one. I've owned it for probably 15 years. I have the barrel threaded for my suppressor. Shooting the new CCI sub-sonic blue Poly-coated ammo is not only very accurate, but it's one of the few sub-sonic loads that will cycle the action every time.

I also have the wooden grips that you show in the pic.

Cleaning via disassembly is a PITA, but I don't often HAVE to take it apart to clean. For the most part, cleaning from the muzzle will get the barrel nice 'n clean and you can clean up 80% of the slides without disassembly.

The trigger is heavy. I did a "poor man's" trigger job on it (see youtube) and it's still just Ok. The pull is crisp, but it's still about 6-lb and a 4-lb would be preferable.

Ruger makes a fine 22 semi-auto pistol, but I've never wanted to do a swap of my Buckmark.

(Susquehanna County)

Very interesting! I like the grip angle and the rib looks perfect for one of my ancient Tasco Pro point or newer Ultra Dot red dots. I often thought about a new .22 to replace my old High Standard. I used to judge .22 pistols by the number of guns that populated Conventional Pistol competition firing lines. 1st place was S&W Model 41, then High Standard then literally everything else. Brownings, even the Medalist were rare.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I never really noticed it being difficult to clean or disassemble. I never really had to do it that often. Also I think the trigger is great. I've heard if you flip the sear spring it will lighten the trigger but I never tried it.

(Philadelphia County)

for the record i didnt consider the (2) screw removal a pain, I just hated the design/ decision to require it... i didnt want something i might lose in the field etc if cleaning somewhere other than my workbench.