Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Delaware County Field and Stream Assn

I was thinking about signing up for a membership here. I am located in Philadephia and have been looking for an outdoor shooting range for quite sometime. I happened to be at Lindvilla Orchard today and heard the gun shots so had my wife look up whats around. Is anyone a member there? Do you recommend it? Any idea how I could go about an endorsement for my application?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Delaware County Field and Stream Assn

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinsje View Post
    I was thinking about signing up for a membership here. I am located in Philadephia and have been looking for an outdoor shooting range for quite sometime. I happened to be at Lindvilla Orchard today and heard the gun shots so had my wife look up whats around. Is anyone a member there? Do you recommend it? Any idea how I could go about an endorsement for my application?
    Depends on what you're looking for.

If you want a family friendly sports and recreation oriented place, it's probably a good fit.
    If your focus is on self defense training, then it's probably not.

Best thing to do for any range is to attend a membership meeting, you see what they are about and they see you.
    Most ranges will sponsor you after they evaluate you in person.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinsje View Post
    I am located in Philadelphia and have been looking for an outdoor shooting range for quite some time.
    Have you checked out Holmesburg Fish and Game?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Delaware County)

Hi Hawk,

I'm a member. As noted by others.. it depends on what you want. It's not at all a "tacticool" place.
    The club has many ranges;
    rifle (100yd) - "slow fire" 5 round max loaded in mags.
    black powder - I think this goes to 100 as well.
    Pistol - 15 yrd, 25 yrd. slow fire, 5 round max loaded in mags. Also 50 yrd after qualifying.
    Trap - multiple fields.
    Skeet - 2 fields
    5 Stand: (like Sporting Clays without walking)
    small bore (22 cal) rifle range
    Another clays field with "spring" manual throwers.
    Archery - 2 courses
    Air Rifle -

The rules are strict for a reason. It's a large club in the middle of a suburb. Right wrong or indifferent... that's a fact. The club has a good relationship with neighbors and they try to keep it that way.
    Like any club, folks that are new will get a little more "scrutiny" until they are seen around and folks at least know your face, etc. No one wants to or likes to bust anyone chops. If you are safe you have no worries. If you mess up and someone reminds you. Say, "Thanks for the reminder" and that'll be the end of it.

No open or concealed carry at all.

Weekdays are empty. Weekends are not horrible. Sunday is more crowded than Saturday.
    99.9% of the people there are laid back and just enjoy shooting or shooting the breeze.

Depending on the range, they have competitions and trainings, etc.

Let me know if you have more questions.

<edit/added>
    Application process is simple. Go there during the day, weekend is best if you just want to get the application and get signatures in one shot. Ask for an application at the office. Then simply walk around and say hi to folks. They know what folks with that form are looking for.. signatures. You need 2 regular members and 1 range officer. If you go talk to folks, on a weekend it might take you 2 hrs. Most times, it takes less. Just be friendly and say you are interested and ask folks what they think. You'll get signatures. You submit it and pay. They vote at the monthly meeting.
    They do a background check. Then you show up for orientation which is about 4 hrs. A range officer will walk you (and a small group of folks) around and go over all the rules. After that is done you are "conditional" for a few months, which means.. if you are not an asshat and follow proper firearms safety rules, you are in.

It's also open 364 days a year sunrise to sunset. It's only closed on Good Friday for maintenance. They do ask folks to show up and help that day. They give you a hotdog, pizza, soda, etc for raking, painting, stuff like that. They really appreciate keeping the place nice.
    Last edited by GardenGnome414; October 10th, 2020 at 06:41 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

GardenGnome, while I wouldnt mind being able to practice drawing or double taps thats not what I am mainly after. So they are okay with people just wondering around on a weekend talking to people? Or is that just all done in the lobby, etc.?

(Delaware County)

Hey Hawk,

I sent you a PM/DM/IM (whatever they are called now..)

No they aren't okay with folks wondering around, so go to the office first. Wear a mask. Don't carry. Yep, you will be walking around looking at the ranges to see them and how they run before you join. But you are correct. You don't have a badge so don't just go wondering. Go to the office first. Then you can go look at the ranges. Rifle and Pistol have buildings and doors you need to pass through to get to the firing lines, but you can walk up and look in the doors, window and (once you go to the office) you can walk into the range to peek in and look. The other ranges are truly open.. trap fields, skeet fields, etc.
    Every range points away from the road/driveway.
    You don't need ear and eye pro to walk around the grounds.. only when entering the ranges.

It's a decent place for anyone that wants to shoot outside, be laid back, etc.

For double taps and practicing draws... this isn't the place. If you want to spend a day, shooting 1 or 200 rnds of rifle then go over and shoot 200 rnds of pistol then shoot another few rounds of trap or skeet before heading to a late lunch... this is a good place.

(Delaware County)

5 round max in revolvers too.

I*ve been a member for many years. It is geographically desirable and you can shoot reloads. The facilities are nice and reasonably well maintained. GardenGnome described things well. Follow the rules and shoot in peace. Press the rules and you will be corrected. Cop an attitude or flaunt the rules and you will be gone.