Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Hornady Lever Revolution vs traditional .240 SJHP

Anyone have any experience with the 225 grain Hornady vs traditional 240 gr Semi jacketed HPs . I am planning on hunting with my Henry Big Boy carbine this year for whitetail and I have both available to use. I plan on sighting both in , I am running a 25mm red dot on the Henry .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Hornady Lever Revolution vs traditional .240 SJHP

I*m not sure about a .44 Mag but in .30-30 the Hornady produces noticeably better groups than any other factory ammunition I*ve tried. I have not shot a deer with Leverevolution so I can*t really weigh in on that part of it.

(York County)

I have a Henry big boy in 44 mag. With open sights I was consistently touching holes with Winchester white box, but with the hornady i was lucky to keep them in the black. Of course every gun is different and you will have to find what is most accurate. My Winchester trapper in 30-30 is most accurate with the hornady rounds.

(Monroe County)

In .35 rem I tried them right after they came out, well yes they do drop alot less. But the whole make a hollow point and stick a plasctic thing in it like every round they make didn't work so well. Hardly scientific but I use 2L bottles filled with water for balistics lever is on the left, 200gr Win on the right. I didn't group them I never had trouble with what I had. 101_0182.jpg
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Well I have 225 gr lever rev , .240 sjhp .240 sjsp and .180 sjhp all 44 mag , I*m going to put them down range and whichever is the most accurate will be the round of choice. I can*t imagine any of them not dropping a whitetail at 100yrds or less.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    Well I have 225 gr lever rev , .240 sjhp .240 sjsp and .180 sjhp all 44 mag , I*m going to put them down range and whichever is the most accurate will be the round of choice. I can*t imagine any of them not dropping a whitetail at 100yrds or less.
    Welp.....there's always the exception!!

i reload for every caliber I own. If I'm hunting to fill a doe tag with a firearm, I usually carry my S&W 44mag. I have killed many doe (every doe I shot at) with one shot using a Hornady XTP 200gr. bullet over a max charge of VV N-110. And again....every doe dropped within 30 yards.

I decided to try the factory 225gr and after shooting it and determining it grouped very well out to 100 yds, with the same POI as my 200gr handloads I set out to take a doe. I had a nice doe come in and at 35yds took the shot.

Another hunter decided to "help" me but all he did was chase that doe into posted land that I could not go. I'm pretty sure the landowner recovered it...skined it out and made its way to his freezer.....but that's a guess. (Knowing this landowners history) But that doe ran a good 500 yards and I don't know for sure if she ever dropped. I can guess....but I don't know.

That was the last time I used factory ammo. It could have been a bad shot placement (anything is possible)...it could have been the bullet deflected off a small unseen branch and hit the doe in a less vital area. I don't know.

But I do know the XTP's that hit in the boiler room do the job darn fast!!

FWIW