Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Who says Shockwave-style "firearms" are useless?

I picked up a Charles Daly Honcho (shockwave-style "shotgun") last winter because it filled a niche that needed filling in my " arsenal". Most of what I read on the internet is "Those things are range toys only. Not worth a crap".

I beg to differ.

I took mine squirrel hunting today. Using low brass #6 shot, I took three squirrel out of six shots. I should have had four, but the one was only wounded in the butt, and when the dog found him for me, it took off with the dog close behind. I couldn't get a follow up shot to kill it with the dog so close. The squirrel ditched into a big hole in the rocks on the ridge. It wasn't coming out and we couldn't get in after it.

The remaining two shots were legitimate misses from shooting too high. Without the ability to get a cheek weld on a stock, there is a good probability of aiming too high. But, with a little practice, I was reaching out to 20+ yards accurately enough to get solid kills. Is it as good as a stocked shotgun? No. But, it is FAR from being useless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sandcut; October 9th, 2020 at 07:30 PM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Who says Shockwave-style "firearms" are useless?

Great. Now there's gonna be riots. You shot an unarmed black squirrel .....
    Last edited by rckeystone; October 9th, 2020 at 07:49 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't know you could hunt with one of them. Never really thought about it much as I don't own one

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    Great. Now there's gonna be riots. You shot an unarmed black squirrel .....
    Yeah, the one in the middle was unarmed. The other two deserved it, though.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I picked up a Charles Daly Honcho (shockwave-style "shotgun") last winter because it filled a niche that needed filling in my " arsenal". Most of what I read on the internet is "Those things are range toys only. Not worth a crap".

I beg to differ.

I took mine squirrel hunting today. Using low brass #6 shot, I took three squirrel out of six shots. I should have had four, but the one was only wounded in the butt, and when the dog found him for me, it took off with the dog close behind. I couldn't get a follow up shot to kill it with the dog so close. The squirrel ditched into a big hole in the rocks on the ridge. It wasn't coming out and we couldn't get in after it.

The remaining two shots were legitimate misses from shooting too high. Without the ability to get a cheek weld on a stock, there is a good probability of aiming too high. But, with a little practice, I was reaching out to 20+ yards accurately enough to get solid kills. Is it as good as a stocked shotgun? No. But, it is FAR from being useless.
    #blacksquirrelsmatter. I saw one the other day.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Beaver County)

There are very few firearms I would actually call useless but I do question what benefit there is to something like this and what purpose it serves. Does it do anything that an 18" shotgun with a stock can't do? Some apparently use these as truck guns and I can't come up with a good reason why. It has less capacity and it's harder to control than a stocked shotgun, SIGNIFICANLTY less capacity than a similarly sized handgun or rifle-caliber "pistol" with a brace but those weapons will offer much greater accuracy if you deploy it in a defensive situation. I think Sandcut has found one of the only roles this weapon can fill effectively; low stakes hunting of non-dangerous game. That and maybe a range toy for some, certainly not me, but some. I don't doubt you could use it for other things if you had no other option but I see no reason to do that because you said you were adding it to your "arsenal" implying you own many other weapons and there are better options for just about anything you could want to use this for.

(Beaver County)

I find this much easier to holster (yea I have a holster for mine) than an 18" with a full stock. And what the hell. Why not .

Dosent PA now define this as a firearm by state law ? Could it not be carry loaded vs a long gun in a vehicle ?
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Columbia County)

Way back in the 90s I owned a similar shotgun that was registered as an AOW known as the Remington Witness protection shotgun. It was stockless and had a 12 inch barrel. Other than it looking cool and having an official "sawed off shotgun" I got quickly bored with it. I'm lucky I sold it before these shockwaves and other similar shotgun came out, even though it only had a $5.00 tax stamp.

Maybe with lasers sights and a rail they a little more useful but I usually talk people out of buying them. I suggest a shotgun with a folding stock instead and keep it off the PSP registry.

I usually see at least one in the used section when I visit gun shops, so I doubt if I'm the only one who didn't care for these types of firearms.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    There are very few firearms I would actually call useless but I do question what benefit there is to something like this and what purpose it serves. Does it do anything that an 18" shotgun with a stock can't do? Some apparently use these as truck guns and I can't come up with a good reason why. It has less capacity and it's harder to control than a stocked shotgun, SIGNIFICANLTY less capacity than a similarly sized handgun or rifle-caliber "pistol" with a brace but those weapons will offer much greater accuracy if you deploy it in a defensive situation. I think Sandcut has found one of the only roles this weapon can fill effectively; low stakes hunting of non-dangerous game. That and maybe a range toy for some, certainly not me, but some. I don't doubt you could use it for other things if you had no other option but I see no reason to do that because you said you were adding it to your "arsenal" implying you own many other weapons and there are better options for just about anything you could want to use this for.

Yes. It can be carried loaded in a vehicle, lawfully, with a LTCF. So, that makes two roles that it fills. And, when carried in tandem with a good semiauto pistol with reasonable magazine capacity, it makes a nice combination. I may never need it, but I may never need the dismemberment rider on my insurance policies either. However, I find them both to be worthwhile to have. You may not. So, you buy what you like and I'll buy what I like. And you're welcome to shoot whatever I got if we ever meet up at a regional shoot.

And I do have an arsenal. I have a slingshot, and a target bow with no arrows, and a hunting knife, and a spud gun. This constitutes an "arsenal" under modern vernacular.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Yes. It can be carried loaded in a vehicle, lawfully, with a LTCF. So, that makes two roles that it fills. And, when carried in tandem with a good semiauto pistol with reasonable magazine capacity, it makes a nice combination. I may never need it, but I may never need the dismemberment rider on my insurance policies either. However, I find them both to be worthwhile to have. You may not. So, you buy what you like and I'll buy what I like. And you're welcome to shoot whatever I got if we ever meet up at a regional shoot.

And I do have an arsenal. I have a slingshot, and a target bow with no arrows, and a hunting knife, and a spud gun. This constitutes an "arsenal" under modern vernacular.
    You're missing the tactical assault blowgun. No arsenal is complete without one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast