Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Haven't carried in years - current 9mm carry gun recommendations?

I haven't carried since I was 100+ pounds heavier than I am now.
    When I was a fatty, I carried a 5" 1911 and a Glock 17 (no, not at the same time), but it was easy since I wore baggy clothes all the time.

Looking to buy a smaller (but please no subcompacts) 9mm carry gun. Any recommendations? I know it's impossible to just go order the gun I want right now due to supply shortages, but that's okay.

The firearms currently on my radar are the Glock 43X, S&W M&P 9 Shield EZ, and Sig P365XL.

Thanks in advance!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Haven't carried in years - current 9mm carry gun recommendations?

I've carried the S&W Shield 9mm for years and absolutely love it. Perfect conceal size and still comfortable to shoot. The size even lets you do a leather OWB holster (which is what I do now) and still keep it concealed. Shield gets my vote all day.
    -Brandon

You have the P365XL on your list. Any reason you're not looking at the P365? I have the P365 and I think it's one of the best carry guns on the market. It's a hell of a lot better than the Glock 22 I carried for a couple of years. It has just the right size grip that with the 12 round mag, even my giant hands have no problem getting a solid purchase, yet conceals very well. The barrel length is good for SD accuracy with the sight picture provided. I like the P365XL, too, and will probably buy one next year when things (hopefully) settle down, but I probably won't carry it.

If you're looking to test before you buy, Target Shooting Solution in Avondale has every gun on your list available for rental. The Sportsman's Shop in Etters has most on your list, except the P365XL.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rendez-Voodoo View Post
    I haven't carried since I was 100+ pounds heavier than I am now.
    When I was a fatty, I carried a 5" 1911 and a Glock 17 (no, not at the same time), but it was easy since I wore baggy clothes all the time.

Looking to buy a smaller (but please no subcompacts) 9mm carry gun. Any recommendations? I know it's impossible to just go order the gun I want right now due to supply shortages, but that's okay.

The firearms currently on my radar are the Glock 43X, S&W M&P 9 Shield EZ, and Sig P365XL.

Thanks in advance!
    All your choices are good. I suggest find a range to rent them to try them out. The suggestions in these types of threads usually end up being everything from a .380 SW bodyguard to a .50AE Desert eagle.

(Montgomery County)

Find the tool that accomplishes what you are looking to do. I am 5'11 and 180 and carry a S&W M&P2.0 in 9mm every day with a spare mag in a pocket. Compete with the pistol you choose, run it hard (when there is ammo) and work on your skill. The tool is not nearly as important as the user.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

I like a semi compact over the little guns many carry today. Yes they are bigger and heavier, but the CZ-75D PCR is one of the best, imho. Compact, Lightweight "alloy" frame, 14 +1 capacity and big enough to be just about as accurate as its big brother, the 75B. Not a fan of Glocks at all. Many are.
    Last edited by Pilot321; October 9th, 2020 at 11:58 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Each of the pistols you are considering are excellent choices. I would lean to the 365XL or the G43x for the ability of each to take a 15 round mag. The 15 rounder for the G43x is made by Shield Industries (interestingly enough, lol.) The 365XL grip frame handles 12 round flush base mags, or Sig brand 15 rounders. They are all good shooters, two of them have the tactical advantage of more rounds. If the Shield 9mmEZ has any options for larger capacity mags, I am not aware of it.

I have all three, carry the G43x but it and the 365XL are pretty much interchangeable for me. My 365 is actually a 365 slide on an XL frame. Just wanted the option to have 15 rounders in a more comfortable grip (to me).

(Philadelphia County)

I have been carrying the Glock 43 during the summer, but with all that*s been going on I would rather have more than 7 rounds available. Usually I carry a Glock 19 or 27.

(Montgomery County)

It's a golden age of high cap, small 9mm carry guns. I agree with your list go 43x, 365xl, or if you want even smaller the 365 or hellcat.

(Montgomery County)

Sig P365.

/end thread.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast