Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Haven't carried in years - current 9mm carry gun recommendations?

I carry a Springfield XD-s in .45, works for me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    I carry a Springfield XD-s in .45, works for me.
    I have a Shield and a P365. Carry the P365 every day.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Beaver County)

I also used to carry a Glock 17 because it disappeared on my fat ass, however I got tired of the weight. So here*s another vote for the P365XL, I really feel like the specs on it can*t be beat. It*s just big enough to be great to shoot but small enough to carry comfortably.

I did buy a Glock 48 also because I was between it and the P365XL at the time. I think I put about 50 round through the G48 and haven*t touched it since. To me it still has the tiny gun snap which I thought was odd for a *skinny Glock 19*.

If weight (and/or budget) isn*t an issue I*d also recommend a Springfield EMP, I had an original 3* version. It*s probably the nicest shooting single stack 9mm you can get(that isn*t full size). One of the few guns I regret selling.

(Allegheny County)

My fav handgun to shoot was a G17 at the time I started to carry. I got a G19 and have loved that as a carry weapon.

I have some spinal issues that made it hard to carry a G19 as often as I'd like so I got a G43 and have found that to shoot surprisingly similarly (group is not as tight but it's still easy to get all shots on a dinner plate from self-defense distances). Only dislike is the ammo capacity makes me uncomfortable.

G43X sounds like a good thing to try... if you can, I'd recommend trying a G19 also. It's going to shoot very similarly to the G17 and is surprisingly concealable (I'm lean and have not had any trouble concealing it unless I'm wearing a skintight shirt).

I've tried smaller handguns, like the G26, Sig 365 & sig P938, but my G19 & Sig 229 is about as small as I'm comfortable shooting. And they're easily concealed with an untucked shirttail.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Check out Kahr. They have a few different size , single-row mag pistols that are thin , flat and carry very nice.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I have had many good carry guns over the years that I liked but was always looking for my next carry gun. That stopped with the sig p365.

I agree on the Glock choices and the Sig XL. You did mention you wanted nothing of a sub-compact like the Sig 365 or the HellCat but I can honestly attest to the accuracy of both without the loss of capacity. As thin or down-right skinny as I am, the subs I mention are absolutely thin or tight-clothed concealable. I have large hands but can grip the Hellcat very well. As was stated earlier in this thread, this really is the golden age of carry handguns. Look at what was suggested but don't discount the sig standard 365 or my favorite, the HellCat OSP or standard. If you find a range or buddy that has them, shoot them and be prepared to be surprised. (and further complicate the decision).
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Bucks County)

I like Springfield XD's and XDM's. The 9mm SC is surprisingly accurate for its size, and you can use the full sized mags.

CZ75 compact and PCR are great choices too.

Never shot the 365 but I've heard a lot of good things.

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the input everyone! Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast