Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear question

Default Bear question

Scouting this year I found a spot with really heavy bear sign. I sat in there last night and seen a sow and two cubs. Unless something drastic happens in the next two weeks, I'm pretty confident I could kill this bear when the season opens. What do you guys think about shooting a bear with cubs? Especially this early in the season. They are really little, like a third of the size of a German Shepard. I was thinking about this the whole time I was watching them. It would be my first bear but I don't know if I would be proud of that.

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: Bear question

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Scouting this year I found a spot with really heavy bear sign. I sat in there last night and seen a sow and two cubs. Unless something drastic happens in the next two weeks, I'm pretty confident I could kill this bear when the season opens. What do you guys think about shooting a bear with cubs? Especially this early in the season. They are really little, like a third of the size of a German Shepard. I was thinking about this the whole time I was watching them. It would be my first bear but I don't know if I would be proud of that.
    C'mon man there's more than one bear in the forest Good luck

Default Re: Bear question

Although I have not shot a bear, personally I would not intentionally shoot a sow with cubs. AFAIK the cubs will most likely not make it. I've seen cubs tagged after a mother was tagged.

(Lancaster County)

Nope. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    Nope. Don't do it.
    That was pretty much my thought. I was curious if anyone else would have a different opinion.

The other side of this is these bears have destroyed about a 30x200 yard section of a corn field. I was completely blown away at how much damage they have done. I was weighing this with how cute the cubs were and what would happen to they if I killed the sow. I think I'm going to sit there a few times and see if there are any other bears coming in without cubs.

(Montgomery County)

That was pretty much my thought. I was curious if anyone else would have a different opinion.

The other side of this is these bears have destroyed about a 30x200 yard section of a corn field. I was completely blown away at how much damage they have done. I was weighing this with how cute the cubs were and what would happen to they if I killed the sow. I think I'm going to sit there a few times and see if there are any other bears coming in without cubs.
    Sounds like a good plan.

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: Bear question

Part of farming but just think about it next year a well fed bear will be very tasty

I know guys that will shoot 50 pounders if given the chance. I personally won't. In NY, it is illegal to shoot a bear in a group of bears or intentionally shoot a cub. Jules

(Chester County)

I agree with the others, don't do it. Cubs are typically born in January and stay with mama for about 18 months. When PA bear season starts the cubs will be about 11 months old, and although they could possibly survive on their own, they'd be left virtually defenseless against coyotes if they venture out in the open to forage for food.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Chester County)

If it's your cornfield, it's your right to remove any vermin destroying your crop, otherwise be sporting and don't kill 3 bears with one shot, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast