Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bear question

Default Re: Bear question

Shoot all three ! <with a camera of course. I was at the Check ststion in tobyhanna 6 years ago a hunter arrived with a cub weighing less that 40 lbs !while it was a legal kill the yelling from bystanders made him slither under a rock ! I personally would pass and hunting isnt all about hunting its about enjoying the outdors .And if your looking for a big bear ( I have two to my credit ) Hang about 1 mile into gamelands that are close proximity to developements they are in abundance !

(Carbon County)

You must be near me(Carbon County). Since the xtra-xtra bear seasons, they have thinned out somewhat, but still plenty around. I kind of think that is why the Game Commission put the bow-bear season through. Get closer to the developments to hunt. If you want to hunt bear, now is the time and this is the state to do it in.

Just don't shoot the one with the pick-a-nic basket.

(Delaware County)

Pennsylvania has the biggest bears in the lower 48 states.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Pennsylvania has the biggest bears in the lower 48 states.
    I seen one of 800+ lb bears that was the PA record for a little while. They had it hanging in front of their cabin. It looked like a black grizzly. The deer hanging next to it would have fit inside it's chest cavity. It was a monster.

Another bear today in later afternoon,too warm and think he was laid up resting,hide your garbage pails tonight.Deer hunting may be out of the question for me this year because of prostate surgery not recovering well,just may list my Savage axis 308 for sale !

(Berks County)

I have a bear question: Who eats the shit? From what little I've eaten and people I've talked to it's the worst meat you could possibly end up with. As Crocodile Dundee would say, "You can eat it but it tastes like shit".
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a bear question: Who eats the shit? From what little I've eaten and people I've talked to it's the worst meat you could possibly end up with. As Crocodile Dundee would say, "You can eat it but it tastes like shit".
    Well they are either shooting bears that are eating trash, or solely dead animals. Bears that have a wide varity diet of berries, acorns and the occasional meat small animal taste great. Bears killed in areas that have large amounts of blueberry fields taste and smell sweet and their fat has a purplish blue hue to it. Alaskan black bears that have been feeding on hundreds of lbs of dead salmon taste like dead rotten fish. Other then diet, I think it really depends on how an animal is cleaned, and then butchered and from what I see a guy charging $50.00 to $100.00 to process your game is going to give you a $50-$100.00 job. Then there is choice of cut and cooking. Venison back strap is excellent, a regular venison steak is shoe leather at best and a waste of a cut on the animal.

While I have not killed a bear personally I have eaten it in the forms of smoked hams and it was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I've had bear that tasted quite good, and some that didn't. As with most things it's how you prepare it. Not just cooked, but handled after being harvested. Bear needs to be well cooked, so it limits the meals. I have never prepared it myself but would like to some day.

On a side note if anyone in my region happens to shoot a bear and there is a sufficient amount of fat and you plan on just throwing it out please let me know. I will come to you just for the fat. Once rendered down bear grease is supposed to be excellent for frying and cooking and an excellent alternative to man made poisons other wise known as canola and vegetable oils.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123