Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Ar charging handle

Here we go, ar build with 10 1/2 inch barrel, carbine gas port. Occasional suppressor use. Left hand shooter. Looking for a good handle choice that will help with the gas coming back to the eyes. Obviously glasses required. Those of you with previous experience tell me what brand and model would be your choice.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Ar charging handle

I am happy with my radian raptor sd. It helps with gas to face and is ambi

(Chester County)

Is the drilling of the radian sd the only difference from the other radian CH?

(Lackawanna County)

Geisselle super charging handle or airborne.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Here we go, ar build with 10 1/2 inch barrel, carbine gas port. Occasional suppressor use. Left hand shooter. Looking for a good handle choice that will help with the gas coming back to the eyes. Obviously glasses required. Those of you with previous experience tell me what brand and model would be your choice.
    Raptor charging handle. I've tried BCM's charging handles but I like the raptor better because it's more comfortable. The BCM I had most recently was dragging on the top of my rifle's hogue (rubberized) stock so I had to file some material off that bottom edge. That should have been done at the factory if you want my opinion but that's what steel files are for I guess. Voiding warranties while also fixing manufacturing defects. Are you going to use an adjustable gas block on this build? Consider that it is a build after all, I see no reason not to use one. You can turn it down a couple clicks when suppressed and get a little less gas but still cycle reliably from the back pressure off the can. I shoot lefty too and my perception has been that the ejection port is a bigger problem than what leaks from the charging handle. My wife (also left handed) almost never shoots ARs anymore for that reason. Get an adjustable gas block and a raptor and I think you'll be satisfied with the result.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the responses, I like the adjustable gas block idea, that*s one of those hey why didn*t I think of that things. Gonna keep moving forward with the build now. Btw parts are a bitch finding if your looking a specific brand. Gotta shop multiple suppliers. It*s out there you just gotta keep looking.

(Delaware County)

The Rapture design is the best CH IMO. But I refuse to spend over $50 for a charging handle. If you look carefully, you can find the Unlabeled Rapture style for typically around $30. I*m not talking about the CHINESIUM FAKES! Im referring to the repros made in the USA, from 7075-T6 billet... not the softer 6061 used by the China fakes! There are things I*ve learned along 15 years invested in the AR market. Radian didn*t design & doesn*t make the Raptor CH. They are forged in a Foundry, SUPPLIED to Radian & they do the CNC & finishing. Yes they are very nice....they had BETTER BE for what they charge! But those same Foundries that forge them, also supply to smaller shops who do the CNC & finishing work...but leave them Unlabeled. Meaning no names or labels. They use the standard roll pins & may have quite the impeccable machining as those costing 2...3...4 times as much. But they work perfectly. Remember a name means NOTHING. Fancy bells & whistles mean nothing. Materials & correct machining are key. Everything else is for show....which is fine if you like it. Just don*t make the mistake & confound that with added performance.

I*ve learned to build super high end ARs at a fraction of the cost of KAC, LMT, Larue, etc. Spending $80... $100 or more on parts like Charging Handles is NOT how I do it. But that*s me.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Washington County)

I’ve tried various ways to mitigate gas to the face from suppressed ARs. The thing I did that worked best was putting black oil resistant RTV on the upper receiver where the charging handle resides. The best thing I have experienced on someone else’s rifle and I haven’t purchased yet is a bootleg adjustable BCG. It had a lower recoil feel and almost no gas. Don’t waste money on those gas buster forward assist replacements.

(Northampton County)

Had the best experience with Geissele super charging handles. Ambi and the airborne model is lower profile. The hump/shoulder mold on their charging handle is similar to the PRI gas buster from a while back.

Daniel Defense gas blaster charging handles are pretty nice.
    I'm a Rep Virgin