Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SKS(gear)

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: SKS(gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    In this situation having a mag capacity of 30 rounds or greater, the capability of mounting an optic, and a white light would be a force multiplier and only add to your odds of coming out unharmed.

Just my .02
    I have seen some of the receiver top covers with rails built into them, so optics are an option. And while they're not as reliable with the aftermarket magazines, some people have had success modifying them for AK mags. There are also the "sporting" and "paratrooper" ones that are made that way from the factory. And then there are the aftermarket stocks with rails and pistol grips and whatnot. I saw one on Military Arms Channel on Youtube that had a recoil dampening spring in the buttstock. So it can be a cheap man's AK of sorts. Although I don't plan on doing any of that. MAYBE the top cover for some kinda optic, but I know nothing about optics. I'll likely make a similar thread for optics advice in the future if I don't find enough info browsing on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    I have seen some of the receiver top covers with rails built into them, so optics are an option. And while they're not as reliable with the aftermarket magazines, some people have had success modifying them for AK mags. There are also the "sporting" and "paratrooper" ones that are made that way from the factory. And then there are the aftermarket stocks with rails and pistol grips and whatnot. I saw one on Military Arms Channel on Youtube that had a recoil dampening spring in the buttstock. So it can be a cheap man's AK of sorts. Although I don't plan on doing any of that. MAYBE the top cover for some kinda optic, but I know nothing about optics.
    I’ve been collecting SKS’s for 15 years and have owned at least two dozen of them in different variants including the M and the D which were modified to take AK mags. While they are cool they are not reliable all the time. The SKS is no where close to an AK. The “poor mans AK” is the AK. Prices have inflated in the US on both rifles and by the time you modify the SKS you could have bought a entry level AK.

There are very few top cover mounts that hold a zero so do your research and be prepared to drop some coin on that top cover. Matador arms makes one of the best ones. Most SKS collectors Agree that 99% of them suck.

Paratrooper models were cut down by the importers when they brought in commercial models from China which included the Navy Arms cowboys companion and it’s full size counterpart the farmers friend.

Having used them for many years I will still stick with my 1st statement. It’s a decent and fun rifle to shoot, own, and collect but in our current times there are much better choices especially if having to use under true stress.

That being said if that’s what you got then that’s what you got. Get comfortable with it and train using it in real world situation especially with reloading smoothly off stripper clips.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 10th, 2020 at 11:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

TL : DR; I have had good luck with the detachable 20'rd Tapco SKS mags. The base 10 rounder is fine, the 20 just adds more range fun at the cost of being an irregular shape of the mag for conventional carry pouches.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    Doesn't the bayonet already come (as in, it is permanently attached to)with a SKS?

Although, I do own one without a bayonet. Picked it up at a gun show for a very good price, because, well, it is "defective" without the bayonet.
    Initial SKS rifles - regardless of country - had underfolding spike or blade bayos. After the Bush/Bennet bans, CHICOM SKS were often sold without their bayos attached as there was little solid evidence to prove they met the criteria for C&R (as the Russian SKSs did) in order to allow the attached bayo.
    The later full-tilt CHICOM ban ended the direct import of CHICOM SKSs, now we get indirectly-imported CHICOM SKSs as washed thru EU countries.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Cumberland County)

I ended up going with one of those vietnam era drum magazine pouches. It seemed like a nice middle ground, all factors considered. I'm probably gonna get a generic modern sling from Amazon.

I also got some stripper clips at Cole's Bike Shop in Carlisle. his prices kinda suck on some guns, at least compared to online, but he has a lot of cool older shit that isn't TOO terribly-priced. For instance, there's a Garand still sitting in there from around last Christmas for a little under $1000(it has a synthetic stock with a shitty camo paint job, but how hard can it be to replace?), and an SKS that takes AK mags. No idea on the price of that one, but he has plenty of other old milsurps; mostly bolt actions, the occasional AR, and random parts and accessories, like original SKS stripper clips, as well as new ones. I paid $15 for 10, and most ebay listings for 10 clips I could find wanted at least $20 and had pictures that showed examples of rusty ones. At Cole's I was able to sift thru them and pick out the ones I wanted, and I didn't see any rust at all.

Cole's kinda pissed me off a while back though. When I was looking for my Star BM, he found one, but he wanted like $350 when I could still find them for about $180 online easily. I would have gladly paid $300 to not have to deal with the hassle of the online thing, but my guess is he just got it online and then tried to get double what he paid. I know he has to make money like any other shop owner, but that was a bit too much.

He's alright for certain things; it just depends on what you're looking for.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234