Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SKS(gear)

(Cumberland County)

Default SKS(gear)

First of all, if this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it. I may possibly blind, but I didn't see a gear or "accessory" section.

So Anyway, I just ordered an SKS, and now I'm looking to see what kinda options there are for carrying ammo. My plan is to keep it stock, thanks to the advice of damn near everyone I talked to about the option of having a detachable magazine for it, including you fine folks. So that means I should probably at least get stripper clips, because loading each round individually is gonna be really slow. Those are difficult enough to find right now, but my problem here is, what am I gonna carry them in? I see plenty of surplus chinese chest rigs for 20 clips, but that doesn't look like it would be too comfortable, plus 20 clips seems kinda excessive anyway. I was thinking like 5-10, tops. I did come across a stock pouch to hold 3 of them, but it's held on with what appears to be hand-tied bungee string of some sort. Maybe that works better than it looks, but I could see that thing spinning around the stock too easily and being a giant pain.

Does anybody have any suggestions for another option? When I search for stuff made specifically for an SKS, I only really get that Vietnam-era Chinese chest rig, but I'm not really sure what else to look for.

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: SKS(gear)

Dora the explorer backpack

(Chester County)

Default Re: SKS(gear)

For non-tactical use, a cheap fanny pack should enable you to carry 5 - 6 stripper clips comfortably.

(Lehigh County)

(Clearfield County)

Either Russian or Yugo SKS pouches would be what you're looking for.

(Montgomery County)

I believe SKS clips fit into a Mosin Nagant pouch too. Can anyone confirm? Those are a dime a dozen I bet you can score one for free from someone here.

I will tell you I've heard less than stellar reviews on newly made Chinese clips. Getting surplus Russian clips may be the better move...

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I believe SKS clips fit into a Mosin Nagant pouch too. Can anyone confirm? Those are a dime a dozen I bet you can score one for free from someone here.

I will tell you I've heard less than stellar reviews on newly made Chinese clips. Getting surplus Russian clips may be the better move...
    Surplus any country is the better move.

(Delaware County)

Are you talking about carrying like, to & from the range? Or are you going into the hypothetical scenario of carrying ammo about your person in an apocalyptic *democrat zombie* Civil War? Where you need to fight your way through the hordes with your trusty SKS and *extra* ammo at your ready!

Seriously, a good backpack works pretty darn good. And if you have to be one those..., uhh, others.., why not just use a TAC Vest? I*m pretty sure the stripper clips will fit into the mag pouches with relative ease. I*m not sure why you would want those cheap cloth bandoliers, or pouch things??
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

1602204094926-1293076763.jpg

80 rounds can work here...
    ...and they have a plan...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Are you talking about carrying like, to & from the range? Or are you going into the hypothetical scenario of carrying ammo about your person in an apocalyptic *democrat zombie* Civil War? Where you need to fight your way through the hordes with your trusty SKS and *extra* ammo at your ready!

Seriously, a good backpack works pretty darn good. And if you have to be one those..., uhh, others.., why not just use a TAC Vest? I*m pretty sure the stripper clips will fit into the mag pouches with relative ease. I*m not sure why you would want those cheap cloth bandoliers, or pouch things??
    No, not to the range, in the hopefully unlikely event that I'll have to carry the rifle and extra ammo to defend myself/hunt/fight zombies/rioting terrorists/whatever.

A backpack would carry it, but it wouldn't give me quick easy access to reload in the heat of battle. I don't have a vest, and I don't want that chest rig, which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

That east german pouch doesn't look too bad.

I was thinking of something like it, or maybe some type of "messenger" bag that hangs on my side from a strap across the chest, but I don't want just a "purse" to throw it all in there, I want something somewhat "organized" meant to hold magazines or stripper clips in pouches, just something I don't have to fumble thru to find my ammo. If I'm at the point where I need to reload, I don't have time for fumbling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast