Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Building an AR pistol

Not sure if this goes here but... planning on building an ar pistol in .300, but cant find some information.
    Everything i read says if the lower was or registered as a rifle you cant use this lower to make the pistol.
    But i am starting with an 80 percent lower that i will complete myself then plan on adding the complete PSA 7.5" PISTOL KIT. Just dont need any headaches on being told this is a SBR. So i am trying to find some insight to this build.
    Thanks all

Southern South Western South Eastern York county, Pennsylvania

Default Re: Building an AR pistol

First, I AM NOT A LAWYER.

As I understand it, a virgin AR lower that is first assembled as a pistol, and then later made into a rifle can continue to be reconfigured from rifle to pistol and back throughout its existence.

If a virgin lower is built initially as a rifle, it must always be a rifle, or with proper paperwork, a registered SBR. I would presume these rules apply to 80% lowers as well as purchased stripped lowers.

Remember the ATF gets all arresty if you have a lower with a stock and a sub-16" upper, even if they are not assembled. Also, I would guess that many cops don't know what an AR pistol is and will arrest you for an SBR and let someone else figure it out later, so keep that brace letter handy when you travel.

Just this week, it became know that the ATF is scrutinizing commercially produced AR Pistols, particularly the Q Honey Badger, saying they are actually SBRs and are NFA items. This may cause you to wait and see or to speed up your build. It's just an FYI.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ARman View Post
    Not sure if this goes here but... planning on building an ar pistol in .300, but cant find some information.
    Everything i read says if the lower was or registered as a rifle you cant use this lower to make the pistol.
    But i am starting with an 80 percent lower that i will complete myself then plan on adding the complete PSA 7.5" PISTOL KIT. Just dont need any headaches on being told this is a SBR. So i am trying to find some insight to this build.
    Thanks all

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the input, it just sucks that us law abiding citizens are always the ones getting screwed over.
    I have read so many articles my head spins and as always i believe they write their opinions so even a lawyer couldnt understand it.
    just finished milling out the lower and will be getting the upper

(Warren County)

Legally, you are within the law.
    Practically, you are courting trouble if you are "conspicuous" in how you display the perfectly legal firearm.

Your average high-school graduate cop that has occasion to see a firearm without a serial # will freak right the fuck out and use his power to haul you in and let the courts sort it out.
    Your average prosecutor will do likewise on a "SBR" that is not ATF -registered.

So while you may be right, it could be an expensive waste of your time, money and energy to defend yourself against ignorant or malicious government officials.

Forewarned is forearmed...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE