Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Ruger sr9 dry fire issue

I've had a Ruger sr9 for a while. I haven't taken it to the range yet but have noticed a potential issue.

When I dry fire the pistol, the muzzle bounces. This is not a problem with any of my other pistols nor was it a problem when i had a Glock 17 so I am not thinking it is inherent to striker fired pistols.

The magazine disconnect has been removed and the striker spring replaced with a Galloway extra power spring.

The best i can figure is the extra power spring is causing the mass of the striker to cause the muzzle to bounce. Or perhaps there is a small imperceivable burr on the striker or the mating surface on the trigger bar.

I've tried dry firing from very stable positions and still cannot consistently get it not to bounce.

I've tried a different grip, different trigger pulls, slow pulling, fast pulling, etc.

I'm sure at 7 yards it wouldn't make much of difference, but it makes me not want to waste the ammo when i have other pistols that behave predictably.

Is this a break in issue or something else?

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger sr9 dry fire issue

I'm a bit confused with your description. Does the slide move as the trigger is being pulled? Or do you only see movement immediately after the trigger breaks?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I'm a bit confused with your description. Does the slide move as the trigger is being pulled? Or do you only see movement immediately after the trigger breaks?
    I believe I was doing a poor job of explaining that the sight picture moves. The front sight/muzzle end of the pistol bounces/jerks.

The slide itself stays stationary (as it should since it is being dry fired). The jerking happens with the trigger break.

I've inspected the parts and there are definitely some small burrs, but I'm not sure if they are on surfaces that would even matter. For example, the bottom of the striker has a small burr, but it doesn't contact the connector (is that the right part name?) until the reset.

I'm apprehensive to take any sort of polishing stones to the parts without knowing how deep the hardening is.

-Zach

(Centre County)

If you haven't actually fired any rounds through it yet, I would get some good range time with it first and then see what happens when you dry fire.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(McKean County)

If I understand you, this is not unusual. Check your grip technique buy gripping a hairbrush, then simulate 'pulling the trigger' by squeezing the brush just a bit tighter. Watch the brush jump a little.

Then try a good two-hand grip on your gun. Your weak-side hand should grip about 60%, your strong-side hand is snug with the gun. Now practice with your trigger finger mostly only pulling the trigger and not squeezing the gun. This method reduces the 'trigger jump' that you see at the muzzle that can happen with a newly purchased unfamiliar gun.
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.