Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Question Shooting Rest-- Need recommendations...

Hi folks,

So, I recently bought a brand new Mauser M12 in 7x64. So now I want to test ammo-- factory for now, but reloads in the near future-- and would like to set up a shooting rest so that I can get accurate, reliable data on what my gun seems to like.

My question is what kind of shooting rest would best suit this purpose? I don't want cheap-&-flimsy, but nor will I need an uber-deluxe competition rest, either. Are "lead-sled" or "hydro-sled" type rests a worthy investment for this purpose? Or can I get the results I need with something less extravagant?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

Mods-- I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post, I wasn't sure exactly where it should go.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Shooting Rest-- Need recommendations...

My current favorite is the Bog-Pod Rapid Shooting Rest. I have tried all manner of rifle rests over the years so be prepared, it's similar to holsters and the box of leftovers you end up with.

(Bucks County)

You can use sandbags unless you expect to do a lot of precision shooting, in which case a solid adjustable rest may be worth the money.

(Perry County)

I have all manner of rests and bags. I just got a lead-sled and I have to say I like it a lot.

The nice thing about it is that it will save your shoulder some abuse if you're doing load testing. It's quite heavy on it's own. Looking forward to getting a couple bags of shot when I can find some at a bargain.

This is the one I got, with two rails.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Mercer County)

I like Caldwell deadshot bags

(Northampton County)

I use 4 shot bags , 2 filled, one 3/4 filled, and one half filled with sand. the shot bags have zip lock bags inside to keep the sand in. they are zipped tied ( cable ties) shut. all 4 fit into a 30 cal ammo can. lay the 2 filled on top of each other, then the 3/4 filled on on top of those. the 1/4 filled bag goes under the butt stock to keep it off the bench. i see guys at the range with lead sleds and such, but the way i see it is if the bench isnt solid then having an expensise rig wont do doodally squat. i have about $10 invested, and keep the set up outside on the porch. been using the same bags / set up for about 20 years. its all about the bench being solid. my savage model 12 fv .243 stays under a 1/2 inch at 100 yards ( 5 shot groups) with my reloads, some days a little better. just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Roland45; October 6th, 2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling doodally
    75/15/10

(Blair County)

Get a military sling, learn how to use it, and shoot prone. That's what way the rife was designed for. Sight it at 200-30 yards and go from there.
    Steve Wagner

(York County)

SteveWag,

I certainly get your sentiment-- I intend to use a process like that to improve my marksmanship. I don't intend to use a shooting rest as a substitute for good technique-- the reason I'm asking about a shooting rest is to minimize the variable of human error when testing loads and adjusting the optics accordingly.

(York County)

unclejumbo,

Per your recommendation, I took a look at Caldwell's lineup. I ultimately decided on the Caldwell Stinger. At 9lbs it's a little on the light side, particularly for magnum loads, but it has no difficulty accommodating both bolt-action rifles and AR's. In a pinch, I can use sandbags or barbell weights, but it appears to be able to handle everything up to 30-06 without that. It was also close to the median, in terms of price.

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Some opine that the lead sled (with weights in the tray) induces energy into the scope that the scope was not built to withstand. Kind of like the air rifle phenomenon. Dunno if true...something to think about and research.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast