Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Marlin 39 Centennial

Alright ladies and gents. a Marlin 39 Centennial edition (shooter, ding and scratches but very good condition for its age) followed me home today, and I am very excited ! I don't really care for safe queens, but do take good care of my guns. The bluing is in great shape, the medallion is fantastic, the gold has worn off of the trigger and the wood has dings and shows use. The overall patina looks great to me, but shows it has seen a bit of use -overall I paid way too much for a .22 but I am pleased. It matches my old Daisy Buffalo Bill BB gun and my SS Marlin 30-30. Anything specific I should know about this rifle ?
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Marlin 39 Centennial

Its a Marlin 39. Nicer than most of the stuff made today. Shoot the hell out of it. If you get bored of it, you'll probably make your money back on it since collectors go wild for older Marlin 39's.

My dad picked up a pre-Remington Marlin 39M about 8 years ago for $250. Damn near stole that thing lol

(Northumberland County)

They're hellishly expensive for what they are, but very nice. Not a ton of options for nice 22 levers out there

Just be careful, if you tear down the gun for cleaning, to not over tighten the thumb screw. If it's too tight, the action may bind. Too loose and the gun can have feeding issues. There's a sweet spot that's different for every Model 39. Tighten it enough that the action cycles and feeds without issue.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Ronin!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Alright ladies and gents. a Marlin 39 Centennial edition (shooter, ding and scratches but very good condition for its age) followed me home today, and I am very excited ! I don't really care for safe queens, but do take good care of my guns. The bluing is in great shape, the medallion is fantastic, the gold has worn off of the trigger and the wood has dings and shows use. The overall patina looks great to me, but shows it has seen a bit of use -overall I paid way too much for a .22 but I am pleased. It matches my old Daisy Buffalo Bill BB gun and my SS Marlin 30-30. Anything specific I should know about this rifle ?
    Best .22 I have - Marlin 39A. A .22 made from a solid rifle, not a rifle made to fit a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Every once in a while , you may walk into someone who will be telling you how their Henry 22 lever is a much better firearm *.. I strongly advise you to just walk away *****.. experts warn about arguing with and making those on hard drugs angry **. they can act unexpectedly and at times with great strength *** so just slowly back away

Is the Henry a better levergun? Depends on the situation. I would sooner carry any Henry 22 levergun in the woods over my wife's Marlin 39A. The Henry is lighter and has a much smoother action than the Marlin. And the ones I have are just as accurate. Plain fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Ah yes sir *.. whatever you say
    I to believe in unicorns *...
    Please remain calm *.. no need to get all excited
    BUT *..
    Exactly how heavy is a 39 anyhow , to quote biden **.. "come on man"
    Just get up a little extra early and do a few extra push ups *. or perhaps a bowel of corn flakes will make all the difference
    The Henry H001 is a full pound less than the Marlin 39A. Even back in the day when I was bench pressing 400lbs, that little bit of difference would have been welcome after a full day of hunting squirrels and rabbits. I'm old and fat now and can't bench as much, so that extra pound is even more welcome these days.

Oh, and if Biden gets his way, once he bans all the nasty, evil, assault guns and their 30 round clipazines, with the "shoulder thing that goes up", leverguns won't be far behind. So I wouldn't quote him on anything unless it's "I concede the election."

(Carbon County)

Ithaca M-49's RULE! I bought a used one at a flea market when I was a kid for (If I remember right) $10 and my Mom had to help me with that. A couple boxes of short hollow point and we got awful tired of squirrel at the end of that year.

(Bucks County)

I had a Mountie I sold years ago. Seriously regret selling it