Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Current Experience With Gun Shops in Eastern PA

As we're going through a gun and ammo shortage right now I will tell you all about my recent experiences within the last few days with the gun stores I visited in eastern PA.

I was able to buy some 10mm ammo at Cabela's in Hamburg today but even they're running really low right now. Although I know many people on this forum do not shop for guns at Cabela's because they do tend to price gouge on the guns I will nevertheless report what I saw. Although I do admit they are high priced on their guns they usually do have a good ammo selection at reasonable prices. I will say this much though, even at Cabela's they are almost all out of handguns so it looks like people do buy handguns at Cabela's if they can't find them anywhere else although Cabela's still had plenty of long guns.

With their ammo Cabela's is running quite dry although as I said I was able to get 10mm, Im one of the few people who really likes the 10mm round so Im not surprised they had some in stock. It looked like they were all out of the more popular 9mm caliber as well as 5.56 and 45 ACP although they did have some 12 gauge rounds on the shelf.

Yesterday I visited both 507 Outfitters and The Heritage Guild, both located in Easton. At 507 Outfitters they are open by appointment only although the fellow that met me at the door did say he had some 10mm in stock, I didn't ask about any other calibers. The Heritage Guild looked to be well supplied on firearms both long guns and handguns and they have a decent supply of ammo although with the current demand they are a bit lower than usual as would be expected.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Current Experience With Gun Shops in Eastern PA

Thanks for the heads up on some local shops.

(Schuylkill County)

So here is an update. I was at Cabela's on Friday and yesterday since they are doing their Black Friday specials right now, many of which run for the entire weekend. Cabela's is stripped clean of most of their ammo although they do have shotgun shells as well as some of the more obscure bullet calibers. I did see a fellow yesterday at Cabela's who had a big box of 9mm rounds and by the size of the box it looked to be a few hundred rounds but he had grabbed the last one. One of their tables was also piled full of 5.56 rounds but they were green tip which most ranges don't allow. Cabela's doesn't have that many handguns right now, particularly new ones, but they had a good selection of bolt action rifles.

I was also at Heritage Guild. Got a bag of free stuff on Friday BTW as I was one of the first ten or so customers to come in when they opened as they give out free stuff on Black Friday. One of the things in the bag was a nice knife. At Heritage Guild they do have a good selection of firearms, both handguns and long guns. Most of their ammo however they will not sell to you unless you're shooting it in their range. They will sell you some hunting calibers in which you don't have to be using their range in order to buy, but that's it.

(Monroe County)

Got to love a shop that makes you give your name, address, #, email, stool sample just to buy some fucking hoops #9.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Highly recommend the Smaller LGS shops,Not only are they much more informative,Helpful etc .Sure prices are rising somewhat but think what it takes to keep these LGSs running ? Once they are gone our alternatives are not a pretty one .Highly recommend Roscoe the iroc,Wallenpaupack sports ( Mark not feeling to well these days ) JMO and you can stuff it if you dont like it ! Too old and too sick right now to list other well deserving LGSs .

(Montgomery County)

i was surprised to see the gun shop in Albrightsville closed on opening day Saturday.. is that a usual thing around there?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    i was surprised to see the gun shop in Albrightsville closed on opening day Saturday.. is that a usual thing around there?
    Uh ?

Their "Opening Day" was a day they are not open for business OR they went out of business on their "Opening Day" ??
    --ET

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Uh ?

Their "Opening Day" was a day they are not open for business OR they went out of business on their "Opening Day" ??
    sorry, I meant opening day of rifle season for deer hunting..

(Lehigh County)

sorry, I meant opening day of rifle season for deer hunting..
    AH ! My mistake. I'm not a hunter. So "opening day" went right over my head and my mind translated to "Grand Opening". a-mandrill-in-facepalm-y-repose.jpg
    --ET

(Elk County)

In my experience, many gun shops see very few customers on opening day. As a result, many shops close that day, and for the secondary reason that owner/employees are also hunters.

"If you don't have your rifle, scope, and ammo by dawn on opening day, there ain't much anyone can do for you."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast