Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Introduction and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Cape May is home to the USCG boot cape. I vacationed in CM numerous times and ate dinner at the Lobster House, which is right across the bay. Highly recommended...

https://thelobsterhouse.com/restaurant/
    Hello, JAKIII. I went to boot camp there in Cape May (Summer of '81) and haven't been back since. Perhaps one day I'll return and will visit the Lobster House--after all, who can resist lobster? (Certainly, not me, sir.)
    The Bosun

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    Hello, JAKIII. I went to boot camp there in Cape May (Summer of '81) and haven't been back since. Perhaps one day I'll return and will visit the Lobster House--after all, who can resist lobster? (Certainly, not me, sir.)
    i agree with JAKIII on the Lobster House.

I served in the USN and squandered my contractual A school promise on sub school, so I started out in the Seaman gang but managed to successfully strike for STS. I was royally pissed, but my dad told me I was dealt a bad hand; that's what they do, but to just figure it out and deal with it.

Our BMC and BM1 were a different breed who could and would do anything necessary to accomplish whatever needed to be done. Despite the bad time they gave me at first, I eventually became someone who could be depended upon and was recommended by both to the STSC when I told them I wanted to strike. (I once kicked the 6'6 BM1 in the nuts and then kicked him down a ladder when I was being hazed, and I was a 110 lb 5'6' kid who wasn't having it. I thought I would get Captain's Mast, but nothing happened except reduced hazing. The BM1 told me the next day "You're a helluva scrappy little shit, and you might make it, but you're still a dumbass".)

The BM's are the go-to people for anything that doesn't fall into a different area of responsibility, and are often asked for help in getting things done in areas they are not directly responsible for (they always do it, but another Chief owes the BMC). They are the ultimate blue collar workers and nothing on a ship would function without them. When something outside needs to be fixed, it doesn't happen without them.

Despite moving to a "white collar" billet, the work ethic and determination to just get it done no matter what that I got from my my dad and later my BMC have stuck with me and served me well for almost 70 years. I have nothing but respect for BM's in either the USN or Coast Guard, as they are the ones who just keep the basic things working. My dad taught me the exact same thing - do whatever is needed and don't give up. Get yourself a better paying job, but remember and listen to the people who actually get things done, as they can make you or break you.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    The BM1 told me the next day "You're a helluva scrappy little shit, and you might make it, but you're still a dumbass​”.
    BM1 was a good judge of character...

(Bucks County)

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service.
    Thank you, McSull. 'Happy to be here.
    The Bosun

(Allegheny County)

Having once been a BM1, I'd like to think we all were.
    The Bosun

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    i agree with JAKIII on the Lobster House.

I served in the USN and squandered my contractual A school promise on sub school, so I started out in the Seaman gang but managed to successfully strike for STS. I was royally pissed, but my dad told me I was dealt a bad hand; that's what they do, but to just figure it out and deal with it.

Our BMC and BM1 were a different breed who could and would do anything necessary to accomplish whatever needed to be done. Despite the bad time they gave me at first, I eventually became someone who could be depended upon and was recommended by both to the STSC when I told them I wanted to strike. (I once kicked the 6'6 BM1 in the nuts and then kicked him down a ladder when I was being hazed, and I was a 110 lb 5'6' kid who wasn't having it. I thought I would get Captain's Mast, but nothing happened except reduced hazing. The BM1 told me the next day "You're a helluva scrappy little shit, and you might make it, but you're still a dumbass".)

The BM's are the go-to people for anything that doesn't fall into a different area of responsibility, and are often asked for help in getting things done in areas they are not directly responsible for (they always do it, but another Chief owes the BMC). They are the ultimate blue collar workers and nothing on a ship would function without them. When something outside needs to be fixed, it doesn't happen without them.

Despite moving to a "white collar" billet, the work ethic and determination to just get it done no matter what that I got from my my dad and later my BMC have stuck with me and served me well for almost 70 years. I have nothing but respect for BM's in either the USN or Coast Guard, as they are the ones who just keep the basic things working. My dad taught me the exact same thing - do whatever is needed and don't give up. Get yourself a better paying job, but remember and listen to the people who actually get things done, as they can make you or break you.
    I have to agree, Gripsafety. It sounds as you & I have had similar experiences. I was blessed to be able to use my GI Bill to pursue a formal education, my Ph.D. seeming to be to me what your white collar employment is to you. But never forget from where I came or those who get the real work done.
    The Bosun

(Chester County)

Perhaps, but I'm still a scrappy little shit....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosun View Post
    I have to agree, Gripsafety. It sounds as you & I have had similar experiences. I was blessed to be able to use my GI Bill to pursue a formal education, my Ph.D. seeming to be to me what your white collar employment is to you. But never forget from where I came or those who get the real work done.
    Kudos on the PhD. There are 2 in my SO's family who grew up farming, and they have an insight (probably similar to yours) that the pure academics don't. Both work in industry and apply their brilliance to real world engineering problems.

I too used my GI bill benefits to get a college education, and have made a comfortable living as an engineer. I still can't keep my hands clean, as I choose to get involved in my work at that level. At my advanced age, my services are in more demand than ever. The small engineering business owners who pay me tell me that it's because I know how to just get things done on schedule and budget, and look for practical solutions instead of unworkable brilliance. That part didn't come from engineering school. I often make PhDs' ideas work. The PhD's in my SO's family know how to make their own shit work. Either way, I respect the effort that went into their educations.

I love it when I go to Lowes and use my veterans' discount. The register screen tells them to say "Thank you for your service." I absolutely love to answer with "Thank YOU for the college education. My local store seems to have people close to my age at the checkouts on weekdays, and it always draws a smile.

Welcome aboard Boats, you have the makings of a great addition to our forum. I'll probably die a dumbass, and it may be because I'm still a scrappy little shit (I'm still 5'6", but weigh a bit more these days), but I'll go down fighting... My eventual demise is inevitable, and whether or not I leave a significant mark doesn't really matter. I'm OK with being a dumbass who did a little better from blue collar immigrants in NJ. It really just doesn't matter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234