Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default PA Sewer Bond Referendum?

Yea or nay? I hadn't heard anything about it until I got the absentee ballot. One of the drawbacks of not really trusting any of the local news sources, particularly on political matters, I guess.
    Last edited by Suburban; October 29th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: PA Sewer Bond Referendum?

(Susquehanna County)

Hey guys, I need a lot of help on this one!

Why is this a state issue to begin with? The proposal talks about GRANTS and loans to municipalities for the purpose... . Why is the entire state being placed in debt, and expected to pay, to fund the activities of SELECT municalities? If the municipalities want to assume the debt for facilities that are a direct benefit to the municipality, fine drive on, that way those benefited pay for the benefit. If this was *all* loans at a discounted rate because the state could get a "volume rate" would be something else, but the grants portion bothers me.

Is there some sort of state law that forbids indebtedness by individual townships, cities, boroughs, counties or villages? How about regional authorities that cover several municaplities? Is there a state law that forbids "home rule"?

(Delaware County)

The way I understand it is this:

The sewer project upgrades are required by some environmental agency. Some municipalities have already upgraded per the request of the agency in question, and the urging of the state, but some still haven't. The grants are proposed to get the remaining municipalities to get with the program.

I may not have it exactly right. I've been looking for information, and really not finding much.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

I have not seen Harrisburg manage the money I'm 'required' to give them. So they now ask for my permission for more money?

A burglar knocks on your door. When you answer, he asks politely if he can rob you. You know you can simply say, NO, and he will go away. What do you say?

Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    The way I understand it is this:

The sewer project upgrades are required by some environmental agency. Some municipalities have already upgraded per the request of the agency in question, and the urging of the state, but some still haven't. The grants are proposed to get the remaining municipalities to get with the program.

I may not have it exactly right. I've been looking for information, and really not finding much.
    Interesting. So the state is going to fund reconstruction/upgrade projects in municipalities that refuse to abide by state laws/regulations? Meanwhile, those municipalities that are in compliance get nothing.

Or is possible that the state has a rule or policy that state mandates on municipalities must be funded by the state? In other words the state shall provide the mony, if the state passes a law or regulation that requires a municipality to expend tax-payer funds to stay in compliance.

Note also this is not only for wastewater treatment, but includes stormwater control and drinking water systems, So in those areas that have municipal water supply, are fees collected for the water provided?

(Monroe County)

This is more BS that will support mostly municipalities and they support Rendell even though the biggest part of Pa is rural and won`t see a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    This is more BS that will support mostly municipalities and they support Rendell even though the biggest part of Pa is rural and won`t see a thing.
    Yeah I have to agree this one makes no sense at all.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Angry Re: PA Sewer Bond Referendum?

Okay I have to chime in. Did you all miss the part about giving grants to PRIVATE UTILITY COMPANIES? This is one more step on the march toward socializing everything. We will take some municipalities monetary obligations and spread that out over the entire state when it is only for targeted municipalities. Add to that the fact that private companies will profit and you get a taxpayer who takes on additional tax burdens and private companies get to see a profit. Sounds peachy to me!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Okay I have to chime in. Did you all miss the part about giving grants to PRIVATE UTILITY COMPANIES? This is one more step on the march toward socializing everything. We will take some municipalities monetary obligations and spread that out over the entire state when it is only for targeted municipalities. Add to that the fact that private companies will profit and you get a taxpayer who takes on additional tax burdens and private companies get to see a profit. Sounds peachy to me!
    Where was the part about PRIVATE UTILITY COMPANIES? Apparently, I did miss it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast